What is missing?

What are we missing in the yoyo hobby? Maybe it’s a product, event, or something else.

1 Like

We need Fortnite to introduce a yo-yo emote. That’d be huge for the hobby. Look at what Terraria did, the Terrarian has had like 55 colorways! Seriously!

3 Likes

2a-5a tutorials, player coaching, youtubers (yoyo reviews, trick theory/analysis), a good archive of yoyo history.

There’s definitely more but these are the few that are coming to my mind at the moment.

1 Like

There’s a ton of yo-yo youtube channels!

and

1 Like

There’s a lot of small ones but I personally don’t think there’s a lot of good ones. I’d especially like to see channels of more skilled players and ones that discuss trick theory, progression from advanced-pro level skill, and just high-level discussion in general. And I think there’s other spectrums that not many youtubers are covering in general too.

I’m not a great thrower by any means but I’d say I’m above average in skill and am interested in that high level stuff and getting better. I wouldn’t consider myself a casual “everyman” like tvelto calls it.

4 Likes

Oh so you want pro channels. What about Brandon Vu or Ann Connolly etc? They have channels.

2 Likes

They do have channels, but I think what @andy569 is saying they are missing is an element that encourages new trick development.

Bingo. Also they don’t post that frequently.

I think Scales is the closest thing to what I’m thinking but it’s still not quite the same and they’re a little too long for me.

2 Likes

I don’t know the solution to this, but yoyo reviewers need a larger vocabulary. They all boil down to “this is really smooth and stable”

Comparing new throws to older ones is slightly better than only saying “wow, this is smooth” but players with small collections won’t have the same frame of reference as a reviewer with hundreds of yoyos.

2 Likes

Maybe having a movie or TV show display it in the modern way? Not even Gentry’s music video years ago worked :sob:

Also kind of agree with @andy569 with regards to the other YouTube channels. YoyoJoe1 & when Ann Connolly posts, they generally have the most relatable and highest quality content relevant to all throwers. We need more of that stuff on YouTube!

What does it even mean when people say “oh this yoyo is smooth”? In the sense of vibe, I get it. However, most new yoyos these days come very smooth so perhaps there is another meaning I am unaware of.

I’d like to see some longer yoyo videos on YouTube. A lot of the production videos now are around 1-2 minutes long but it would be cool to see more 4-6 minute videos. It gives the video more time to establish a good vibe.

A vertical undercut in a yoyo, that way you can lock the string into a part of the yoyo that is spinning, that would start a whole new style. (Except that the yoyo would be trash at everything else.)

One-on-one coaching. Videos are great but someone taught me something in less than 10 minutes that I struggled with for 1 1/2 months. The only person I ever met who throws quit my resort and moved to South Carolina. In-person coaching can move someone along quickly.

3 Likes

I definitely agree with this!

2 Likes

If every thrower got just one person into yoyoing each year and got them over the beginner hurdles that can cause discouragement and quiting…

1 Like

I agree. I wish me and everyone else on this forum could meet like once per month. That would be cool.

2 Likes

It’d be cool to see TV commercials for yoyos with people from 5 - 80 using all kinds of yoyos from some company. “The classic skill toy for all ages!”

1 Like

Hmm I don’t know aabout that one…

Anyone wondering how to progress the community need only look here😁

3 Likes