What have I done? I've created a monster!

you’ve either created a monster, or a transsentient yoyoer.

Wow, that is wild - I, too, have 4 kids in this order - though my youngest is 7…

As I’ve been reintroduced to yoyo they too have become interested (in some cases it feels like it’s more about nailing a trick before dad does)…

Anyhow - a thought on your littlest one - I realize what I’m about to suggest might come across as blasphemous, but… what about getting one of those auto-return ball yoyos? I think they’re called yo-balls (ball shape, spring loaded return), usually the dollar store has them… at least until she’s a little taller - she would get the foundations of up and down - but more importantly she would be participating with her siblings (and daddy) - she’d most likely move on pretty quick, but it’d be like training wheels… just a thought

As for my kids - they all have raiders and either a regular brain or wing style brain (Amazon had them for under $5 each during Christmas)… but they have already left them behind for a One or a Whip… my son has managed to steal my PSG (should have bought the 4 pack when I had the chance)… my youngest was looking through the site here and has decided she wants the Ann Connolly edition Superstar (yeah, right - my most expensive throw is a DM2) - because it’s pretty and she really likes watching Ann’s videos…

Turtle:

The infant is just too young for one of those. I don’t feel comfortable giving an infant something that WILL pop her in the head. 3 had one of those YoYoBalls, but it broke. Unfortunately, my kids are rather destructive. This one I witnessed and didn’t see what she did wrong. She threw it, held the string and well, it didn’t come back. I think the spring fell out of place. She only had it like 5 minutes. Now she’s got one of those FAO Schwarz wood Bear pegged yoyos. She may be starting by using either my Duncan Reflex or Yomega Brain. That’s how I handled 1 & 2. They used a Brain, and once they could properly throw it and even sleep it(even for a second), it was time to move on to something else. If she can properly throw the Brain, I’ll get her a ONE. After that, she can choose her “upgrade path” within reason once she’s made some progress. 2 is having trouble with Rock the Baby(hands too small). Got him a Raider. ALMOST too big. I may get him a Shinwoo Loop, it’s not as wide. I’d get him a Aoda Littles, but he can’t bind yet.

But, I’m not going to flat out discount the yoyo ball idea entirely. I think the time is wrong, but the idea has merit. I’ll just keep that in the back of my mind and see when the time comes.

Ah, the joys of parenthood. I’m now fully aware that I’m embarrassing my kids. 2 gets dropped off at kindergarten, while 1 then has to go to another area to wait in line for up to 15 minutes on a blacktop area. Each class has its own line. I was told I could “go home early” instead of waiting a few weeks ago, but now she’s requested I stick around. Today, I was throwing while she was in line and I had a little crowd. Any, I was told I can’t throw anymore because “people were cutting in line”. I may be asked to go home early again. 1 had her Legacy II and ONE with her. She could have joined in!

If the Raider is too big, check out Duncan’s Bumblebee - around here (Oregon - places like Fred Meyer or Walmart) it can be for under $7 - for some reason they tend to be quite a bit more online… anyhow its a fun little, thin, throw, has a bearing, and its easy to handle.

My kids came across a video on YouTube of a 4 year old playing (mostly using a bumblebee)… pretty slick little guy -

I was cruising YYE last night and I did find the Bumble Bee, which was amazingly narrow, so I’m gonna add that to my next order for #2. That means I gotta get something for #1… And I’m already getting myself a few yoyos. Oh well, it’s only money. With YYE selling the “unpackaged ones”, that’s fine for what it’s going to be used for. There’s no place around where I live that carry the Bumble Bee. I’ve checked. The local Toys R Us has put yoyo stuff on an end cap and the selection is pretty much non-existant right now and has been that way for a while. I know I’m not the one buying the stuff up, but I know I’ve bought quite a few Duncans there and the Yomegas I have. The Bumble Bee met all the requirements: thin, bearing, modified shape. It’s precisely what is needed. I may have to buy 2 so #3 has something to upgrade to for inexpensive.

This is a lot of effort to help a kid get Rock The Baby. That and a few other tricks and #2 will be ready to bind. I think for now it’s best to learn the bind before moving through intermediate tricks. #1 is being stubborn and refusing to do forward pass and around the world, despite the fact I purchased a Shinwoo Loop to make it easier for her to do those with. #1 is also fighting rock the baby. By fight, I mean “she just refuses to do it” but at the same time I refuse to push her, so if she doesn’t want to do it, then that’s her choice. #2 is trying to work out his mechanical problems with rock the baby. He’s SUPER close to it.

Amazing video link by the way.

Great video! Thanks for posting it.

I notice the string is pretty long for him–he’s got to hold the yoyo by his head. But it gives him enough to get a good sleeper, and plenty of room for string tricks. I’ll have to try that with my son.

Yoyo balls are a good bet I would guess.  Here is a video of some of the freestyle kind of tricks you can do with one. 

That was cool. A yo ball being something other than just an up and down toy.

That video was cool enough for me to say “hey, why can’t there be a whole auto-return category” at Worlds? Runs of Brains, Reflexes and yoballs. Actually, that’s probably with the AP and open divisions are for.

That is a crazy video, would never have thought it… the counterweight is genius…

Pretty sure it was the ball, not counterweight. I think the part that goes around your finger is a plastic circle with weight, thus working as a counter weight.

Well, the things ship with the string attached to a plastic ring, which you’re supposed to use like a regular slipknot. The plastic ring can’t be pulled through the hole. But the ring itself has little to no weight, so something else has to be there, either on, over or replacing the ring.

This could easily be attached to a counter weight or one could attach a counterweight to it.