What got you started??

I was watching an anime that had a Diaboloer in it and I thought it was just awesome. Btu at the time,t hey were all too expensive for me so i forgot about it. Then i was passing through the toy aisle and a Family Dollar and saw a little green yoyo for a buck. I needed something to do to pass the 2 hours until my job interview so i bought it and played with it. i thought I was just bad because I couldn’t get it to sleep then I went home, did research and bought a diabolo and a yoyo from amazon. Well, i suck at diabolo and my yoyo is non responsive. I have purchased 2 from YoYoTricks that should be responsive so in about 5 days I should be pro.

1 Like

I first started back in the mid to late 90’s as a younger child and learned all the basics, walk the dog, rock the baby, around the world, etc and never really did much after that. Skip ahead to Christmas 2014 and I get a gag gift from my grandmother because she remembered that I used to enjoy yo yoing so much, it was a yomega brain and a Duncan speed beetle. after that I got into really learning string tricks. first yo yo I bought was on ebay it was a maverick I couldn’t wait for it to come in the mail so I ended up going to a toy store in buying a Duncan echo, that ended up being the better yo yo. from there it’s been nonstop for the past 6 months I’ve been learning and I’m now in the expert section on this site

1 Like

Six years ago, almost to the day, I semi-randomly bought a Duncan Bumblebee from a board game store in the mall. I did it pretty much just to support the store, since board game stores are a rare and valuable thing, but the purchase ended up benefiting me far more than it possibly could have helped the store.

I hope all goes well with your procedure, ThinkH2o. It’s an amazing and beautiful gift, the giving of an organ. Live well, and love.

1 Like

you should play with the non responsive and practice your binds personally. As a kid, I only learned up to rock the baby. Got an unresponsive another ago and caught on pretty quick. I’m sure you could too

1 Like

Prison. Me and the guys would play yoyo til the sun went down.

1 Like

Many people don’t post here because they have whether posted it in the introduce yourself thread or in threads before made like this.

Threads need to be made anew though. This a forum, we are chatting. This is casual.

1 Like

She didn’t understand that this is completely separate from an introduce yourself thread. So thank you for pointing that out to her. Even in the introduce yourself thread. Not everyone will say how or what got them started. So this thread is a good spot for this who didn’t tell their story of what got them started.

I’m not she lol. I’m a boy.

Wow! Such amazing stories on here. I might as well share

It was around June 2014 when I was first introduced to yoyoing. My sister brought home a cheap Duncan Imperial, and immediately I was intrigued and using it more than her. I bought myself a Butterfly XT, and learned a few basic tricks. I then began doing research and found out about contests, clubs, and forums! I was very excited to start yoyoing, and I still enjoy it everyday!

Today, a year later, I am preparing to compete at my first contest (SER) and I attend a weekly yoyo club in Orlando.

I never thought I would come this far, and I have yet to get tired of throwing.

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

August 2010, i was in 5th grade when the NED show came to my school. for a week after the show, they sold yoyos in the school lobby, i picked one up and got HOOKED. unfortunately, that yoyo broke after a few weeks, then inspiring me to get a butterfly which i used for 2 years.

Fast forward to September 27th, 2011. i got a blue yoyofactory whip from yoyoexpert (which i still have to this day ;)) and that is what officially propelled me into the best community on earth.

the yoyo community.

fast forward to September 27th, 2012. i got a red/orange acid yyf 2012 supernova with my birthday money, which i used at my first contest (iowa states 2012)

there is a more in depth story, but thats in a nutshell :wink:

I just want to say Goood luck man! I’d love to compete someday myself. But maybe when I have a year of yoyoing down, ill give it a try. Kinda funny you just took your sisters yoyo from her. But hey I’m sure it wasn’t really stealing, she probably"misplaced it." Right? Right? I’m just joking with you. But in all sincerity I wish you the best of Luck and hope you have an amazing time.

I lived in the Philippines in around 2007-08. Me and my family lived in what Americans would probably consider a ghetto except that wasn’t the ghetto it was how people like me normally lived. We had streetside stores from people living down or a few streets away. Food or toys pretty much. The trend of random toys shifted every few months to a year, one time was when everybody had pogs, next our own version of spin tops (made of wood, a big nail, and could’ve had drawings, paint or decorations on it), trading card games like yugioh, and finally it revolved to yoyos. Toys got us kids to stop thinking about the floods that always hit where we lived so yeah. Got em, broke a few days later, got one for Christmas, broke that, looked up Andrés tuts, yoyo God, and many more (including Janos Karancz in 2011 before anyone outside of Europe knew him as a player :P) this binge lasted till early 2012 and stopped since I returned to playing online MOBAs, and MMORPGs… fast forward to 2013 (been back in the US for a year to study high school), a cousin of mine brings a yoyo, one you would get from the NED show, taught him a few things and got hooked again. Searched up yoyos, found Paul Han’s WHiP video and an old thread about DV888 vs DM2 vs Protostar and following metal is better than plastic logic bought a DV888 as my first yoyo and learned how to bind in less than 10 mins. And that’s when I started learning things extremely fast up till now…