What got you started?

Wow! And I thought I had got started fast XD

An accidental search on youtube.

I even remember who it was. It was a video of Marcus Koh at a contest.

When I was about 7 or 8 I saw an episode of Recess that had Gretchen learning to yoyo. It made me interested and I had my mother buy me a Duncan Butterfly. I piddled with it for a while and then found resources online. I ordered a… Shinwoo ZanNavi may have been the name, and I loved it. I yoyo’d for about 8 years nonstop (not progressing as much as I could have, but it was fun anyway). After that I stopped and started a lot. I’m actually just now coming back from an extended hiatus from yoyoing. Just ordered a new Werrd Hour (black and pink) and am eagerly awaiting it so I can start fresh with something pretty and new to throw around.

I was at tractor supply and saw a proyo with trickbook on clearence. That was it. Then I got a throw monkey. Then a wooly marmot. Then a arctic circle. Then I started trading and have bought 3 yoyos since.

Well, I had had Yomega’s from a Christmas (Don’t remember what year) and didn’t get too into it only knew the basic stuff.

Then when I was in Electronics class a teacher walked in and started throwing, after a month I ordered a Dv888 and after that a Gnarwhal and now i’m in love with CLYW.

Well it all started out like this. In late October of last year I had lost my iPod, broken my phone and got my tablet takin away.

My dad had picken me up so we could spend a day together, after we went out to eat and walked around downtown we went to Paul’s so he could get a handful of work gloves. As he was finding them I walked around and I came upon a Rack that had Duncan Butterfly’s and Imperials, my dad came to me and said it was time to go and I asked if I could get one, he said yes and he told me to get the butterfly.

Later when I got home I finally got it to go up and down, I thought I was so cool. I wanted it to be better so I googled “Duncan Butterfly Mods” and saw some guy had taken the caps out of his and it looked cool so I did it. I ended up playing with that butterfly all weekend and brought it to school Monday morning. As I waiting in line for knock out I pulled it out half jokingly and people started to laugh at me but some asian kid i had never talked to came up and told me to give it to him. He showed me around the world a couple loops, and told me how garbage it was.

LAter that day I realized he was in my Algebra class and asked him about yoyoing. He told me he had a Dark Magic 2 the best yoyo ever, and a couple Yomega’s. He said he would sell one to me for $20 so I agreed. Later in the week he brought me a Yomega Hyperwarp Heavywing. The only catch was that it was unresponsive and he didn’t tell me. (I didn’t even know there was such thing as unresponsive at the time.

After a couple hours I started putting the string in the gap and it shot back up to me. After I had self taught myself to bind with no reference I got on YouTube to look for videos. The first one I found was the German Masters 2010 and my mind was blown. I then looking for tutorials and came across Andre’s.

After a week or so I had finished most of the intermediate section on here and that’s when I finally registered for the forums. I remember being on the computer all day looking at yoyos figuring out which one I would get. Eventually I decided I wanted the Zen 4. (Mostly because of the name) I got this just before thanksgiving and brought it with me to Cincinnati.(Where I had moved from that summer)
After that I was hooked.

I’ve had good things and bad things come out of yoyoing.
It stopped me from making friends in Iowa City :confused: (Where I moved too)
But it also gave me something that truly challenged me and something to love until I’m old.

I’m pretty sure that was my first video as well, Carlos Braun?

Brother? Is that you?

I made my mom buy me a Bumble Bee at a Yoyo House kiosk at the mall after I graduated from elementary school in 1998. Playmaxx’s various yoyos kept my interest alive until about 2000. In like 2001-02 I bought a Freehand which I loved (still love) but lost interest until 2008 when I was bored and impulse bought an 888. I sucked at unresponsive and had better things to do with my life than learn a new way of yoyoing but I still loved the yoyos I had including the 888 which I learned maybe 1 new trick aside from learning how to bind. In 2010 I impulse bought a couple more yoyos since I had a girlfriend who worked 5 days a week 8 hours a day with a commute like a normal person and I worked about 40 hours a week over the course of 2-3 days a week like a weirdo so I had a ton of free time. Actually put effort into learning some tricks and put even more effort into burning money on cool yoyos since I had no other money sinks at the time and I’ve never really quit throwing/buying for more than a couple of months since.

This summer, me, my family, uncle, aunt and cousin went on a holiday to Spain. One day, we entered a little store and we came across a cheap yoyo. My cousin and I wanted to try it out so we bought one. From that moment on we were obsessed with the thing :smiley: we didn’t even know how to put the string on correctly but we still managed to pull off some basic tricks like Walk the Dog, Around the world,… At the end of our holiday we both ordered a yyf Velocity (it became a FHZ in the end but whatever), and now we’re still yoyoing every day, trying to impress eachother :slight_smile:

1999 mcdonalds xbrains

Toys r us.

Duncan butterfly then when I got a little older a Duncan Mosquito and Speed Beatle this was when I was in 4th or 3rd grade.

I also somewhere around 3 years ago picked up a Maverick. But only messed around with it.

Fast forward to 1 year ago I picked up a raider and velocity we went back to the same town later that summer and I picked up a dv888 and a grind machine learned how to bind in a matter of minutes and got most of my friends into the hobby. Alot of them are still going.

Four years ago, I went with my family to Ocean City , NJ. They have a store with an entire yoyo counter. They had everything from looping yoyos to 888’s. I bought a Yomega Lancer II. The owner of the store had been doing tricks in front of his store, and that’s what lured me in!

I got a yomega raider when I was in like 5th grade. Got out of the hobby for several years. Then I was looking for a change in my life and was searching the inter webs one day and came across another raider. Picked it up and found yye and yotricks. Learned some basic tricks and mount and it’s been a blast since.

I have no idea, I forgot

Boredom at my previous job with a lot of standing, a quick search online and voila ! Obsession began.

1 Like