What do you clean your bearings “in”

So I have been on the search for the “perfect” jar or container to clean my bearings in and I just can’t seem to find the right thing.

Either the jar is too big and I use too much cleaner. Or the jar doesn’t close right and it gets all over my hands.

What do you use to clean your bearings? I see small jars that people use but can’t seem to ever find them in stores.

Thanks in advance!!

2 Likes

4oz mason jars work for me. I’ve got small cokes from Hollywood modern but I feel like it’s pretty small for the bulk cleanings I do. I generally save like a dozen bearings to clean all at once. If I was doing one or two I guess the little vile would work well

2 Likes

Glass, they are not easy to find…. My wife found this one at the food coop we go to. They are 1 or 2 bucks. I could grab you one if you like.

Other ideas…. Makeup jar, food container at the grocery store, maybe the dollar store ??

3 Likes

For a second I thought you wrote “40 0z” jars. Like dang man, how many you clean at once!!!

2 Likes

That’s pretty nice - does it leak? I have one similar I got from hobby lobby and it leaks like crazy

2 Likes

No, this one seams to seal nicely. I don’t shake it though, just let them soak so I guess the seal isn’t that important.

1 Like

I use a small glass jar that used to contain a powdered cooking spice. It has a metal screw-on lid that seems to seal well enough.

4 Likes

I bought a jar of baby food for this very purpose. Cheap and easy solution.

5 Likes

Ahh that’s a good idea.

4 Likes

I use a shot glass with mineral spirits. No need to seal, I just let the bearing soak for a bit, and then I move it around with a pencil before taking it out and spinning it on the pencil.

5 Likes

These are all great ideas, thank you all!

2 Likes

I sometimes use those tiny jelly sample mason jars. I usually clean 3 or 4 bearings at a time. Yoyo locks up and I use a different one until several have problems.

2 Likes

hollywood modern yoyos has REALLY good and cheap bearing cleaning jars made specifically for the job iirc, ive been meaning to pick one up

3 Likes

I just small, single serve glass jam jars like you’d get at a restaurant.

I’ve also heard of people using Tamiya paint mixing jars:

3 Likes

I actually have a paint mixing one on the way. Only concern is the “plastic” top

2 Likes

Checking them out now!!

2 Likes

For science I did try using a DD plastic container the monarch came in. It worked well except the fumes blew the lid off

2 Likes

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZP715Z7/

But the 1/4 pint (4oz) mason jars work just as well.

2 Likes

Baby food jar. Pick something you like……

3 Likes

Hahahah really?

1 Like