What do you clean your bearings “in”

I did the same thing….

I bought a jar of baby food.

Sadly, after soaking the bearing in Chicken Vegetable, my bearing became very responsive🤓

5 Likes

From experience No mushy peas and non of the ham

2 Likes

What about split pea? Was that better?

1 Like

I use some standard contact lens cases. They’re just made of plastic, but you have to get the kind that the acetone doesn’t melt :smile: After all, the acetone that I buy comes in plastic bottles too! I can fit two bearings in one case, one in the left side and one in the right. I usually put the bearing in the case, then put the axle vertically in the middle of the bearing. After pouring in the acetone and closing the case, I can either shake it by hand or put it in my wife’s ultrasonic jewelry cleaner (which I’ve now commandeered exactly for this purpose). The whole process works really well, and any tiny gritty particles from the bearing end up at the bottom of the curved lens case.

I’ve previously searched high and low for good glass containers, but they were always too large, too fragile, or had leaky covers/tops. Contact lens cases are super easy to find and very cheap. I even get free ones when I get my eyes checked.

4 Likes

I would have never thought they would fit in a contact case I’ll have to look at that.

How is the ultrasonic cleaner, is it a game changer? Do you use acetone with it?

1 Like

I think that the ultrasonic cleaner is helpful, especially if you want the bearings cleaned pretty quickly. But if it broke, I probably wouldn’t replace it. You can get the same results by letting the bearings soak for a while and shaking the contact case every once in a while. So I think that it’s useful, but I wouldn’t buy one just for cleaning bearings.

Oh man, I never even thought of that! I like yours way better than mine.

2 Likes