What did you get in the mail today? 2021

I’ve just started experimenting with taking pictures of my throws, and here’s what I took today. I’m sure that I’ll get better at taking pictures, but since I’m using my phone there’s probably a limit to how good they’ll turn out. Oh yeah, a lightbox would help too. Right now I’m just putting them on a blank sheet of printer paper!

At any rate, here’s the Retic Asp in the “Purple Haze” colorway that I opened up today. The hue and saturation are fantastic! I got it because it’s a slimline throw with a width of 35mm. That’s substantially wider than my Markmont Black Canon which comes in at a svelte 28mm. I haven’t spent too much time with the Asp yet, but it definitely feels more stable on the string due to the added width. I can also afford to be slightly more sloppy with it compared to the Canon :grinning:

16 Likes

Today is a good day.

28 Likes

Trying out the Borealis courtesy of a temporary trade with @Schenckinator for my CLYW Boy. This looks cool and plays great. I wish there was a yo-yo library so I could try everything. There’s just too much out there to get everything that looks good (though sadly I’m still trying).

24 Likes

The price on this one blew my mind a little bit. $100 for a solid color 6061 monometal when their bimetal costs $85. I think the comparison to the Black Canon is fair, but the Asp doesn’t have side effects and probably wasn’t machined by One Drop.

4 Likes

I think you’re right; it’s definitely not in the “I got a good deal” category! But it works in exactly the way that I was looking for, with a slimline throw that’s wider than the Canon. BTW, how often do people trade out their side effects? I’ve never done it.

3 Likes

I don’t constantly swap out side effects to play the same yoyo with different SEs, but I will swap 3-4 times on a specific throw until I find a set that I like for that particular yoyo, and then leave them in there. Some yoyos I like more center weight, some less, and some I just like different colors.

4 Likes

About a day late on this, but this is from the YSL Nytro giveaway.

I don’t normally like to make a final judgement call on string until I’ve been able to put 5-6 hours on it, break it in pretty decently, but I’m already sure I’m going to order this in some other colors when it’s readily available.

It’s comfortable, not much stretch, which I like. But still “springy,” as in, I can move the yoyo with ease. I’m not great with slack tricks (especially today, for some reason), but it’s moderately-to-highly whippy, which is perfect IMO. It keeps it’s tension nicely. It’s a little stiffer than some of my other favorite strings, but in a good way, without being overly rough, and I’m waiting to see if it softens up a bit as it breaks in.

All-in-all, this is an incredibly nice string!

25 Likes

I see, and that makes sense. I love the spikes that came with the Legendary Terrarian. Every time I feel the pointiness, my brain puts out a tiny squirt of dopamine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I try to match colors and usually have spikes because they’re cool AF. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

When it breaks in its the softest string in the worldddddd

5 Likes

Sounds like I should be getting some! I need super soft strings so my hands to get shredded. How long does it take to break in though?

4 Likes

Within a day. Depending on how much you throw

4 Likes

Ah I see, is it already pretty soft before it breaks in? I wouldn’t want to play with something pretty rough when I change strings haha.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s always soft :blush:

4 Likes

Awesome! Am looking forward to the release!

5 Likes

It lasts a really long time

3 Likes

YYE edition Shinobi:

It plays great, but I may replace the bearing. It comes with a Center-Trac bearing, but I might try a Konkave. I don’t hate Center-Tracs, but I don’t love them either.

34 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this yoyo since 2018 but always managed to not buy one. I’m glad I did though. Doc sent along this extra counterweight for free, and I can finally try out one of the interpretations for the Diffraction hub.

30 Likes

I’m surprised you didn’t get the purple one. I thought you love purple.

2 Likes

I do like purple. I like the purple Shinobi, in fact. But I like red yoyos even more.

2 Likes