What did you get in the mail today? 2021

From left to right:
Lowerkase, Sprite, Raw 44

lowerkase_sprite_raw44

Ok, technically the Sprite came in last week, but I thought I’d let it sit in the picture with its kin.

It’s interesting to see the slight design changes they’ve made to account for the different materials and weights. I’m curious to see what the production 44 looks like.

The Sprite is…bizarre. When I pick it up, it feels like it shouldn’t work at all. Like one of those plastic mini yoyos in the 12 pack of party favors. But then it just…works. Not as much spin time as a bimetal*, but I have other monometals to which it’s comparable. Any kind of jerkiness in your motions will become immediately apparent, but it’s also not as unforgiving as I thought it would be. I did have to switch to a slimmer string (RCS Socchi). Once I did that, it was much better.
I actually kinda like it, even if it isn’t going to become my daily throw. I can see moving to this to smooth out tricks.

Side note: don’t throw the Sprite and then try to pick up a new yoyo to evaluate. It will throw your whole sense of yoyo weight right off.

I haven’t thrown the other two yet. Will try to do that this weekend.

*Edit: I only say that to suggest that it really shouldn’t be compared to that class of yoyo. It’s still an incredibly playable yoyo, however, and even with my expectations that it would be, I was still surprised with how playable it is.

20 Likes