What did you get in the mail, 2022?

Today was a great mail day.

First up, all the way from London is a OD+SF=SK.
The color on this is amazing. Such a deep purple, the picture doesn’t do it justice.

Next is the newly dropped Top Deck in blue/clear half swap. The blue is also deep and rich.

While I was on One Drop’s site I couldn’t help but to order a half swap Nitro in green/orange, this will go nicely with my green/orange Intro.

Last but not least is the 2022 mold purple Duncan Butterfly I ordered through Amazon.

30 Likes

On the website it’s listed as Smoke Gray. Pretty fair description. Really nice throw, too!

3 Likes

Would be my choice, thanks

The Top Deck is making a killer first impression over here.

30 Likes

23 Likes

I know everyone has their favorite… but this nylon i like better than airetics its sooo gooood! And 2/3 nylon :handshake:

17 Likes

Yes, it is the Kamuraiju :slight_smile: I was very lucky indeed. In either the thread talking about the Kamuraiju pics on their Flickr or the Top Deck re-run, someone asked Dave about a Kamuariju half swap and he said to email them. So I emailed them as if I were going to buy any other half-swap along with a nice message which explained how excited I was for the yo-yo (the Summit and Kuntosh both kept me interested in yo-yoing while in college) and asked if they would set aside a blue/yellow half swap (as an homage to an original Anti-Yo Kuntosh proto colorway) for me to buy when they released to the public while also accepting I might have to try to buy two to swap on my own. To my surprise I received an invoice along with a reply not too long after thanking me for my message while saying they would be happy to half swap one for me. I paid the invoice, it shipped, and well, you know the rest :slight_smile:

I moved my thoughts into a separate thread to not derail this one as they were rather long but I’m happy to answer any questions either here or in there.

10 Likes

The HOG :laughing:

Haymaker OG. Really surprised by this one. I haven’t thrown it, yet, but super cool undersized throw and stellar quality. Really excited as it’s different than anything else I have and should be money if it lives up to the Grasshopper GTX.

27 Likes

I’ve been tempted by this one. Let us know what you think.

2 Likes

Nobumecha awesome throw

19 Likes

So I spent the evening with it, and here are my thoughts. It’s really cool! I’m sure there’s a honeymoon period, but the reasons I bought it for have borne out.

First, it’s size. My smallest unresponsive is the RCS Author at about 54mm, I think. I always loved that size as I felt it really made for a fast, fun and almost pocketable throw. The HOG is just under 53mm, and honestly at first, I didn’t like it. It feels tiny and almost comically small. But then I started getting used to it and how nimble it is. That diminutive size was really a blessing in tight spaces and made for a very different feel. My favorite, the iQ, feels ridiculously large now, but they both bring something fantastic to the table with their differences.

The next is the weight. At 61g, it’s ever so slightly heavier than the Author, but not much. What’s really great, though, is it’s exactly what I’ve always wanted for the Author—bi-metal for more spin time! The Author still wins on just flick ability and is super fun in its own right, but this adds in hyped up spin time and stability at a very light weight. The HOG just zips around like a mini Grasshopper GTX and has plenty of power to do whatever you want.

That leads me to the last reason. I have a GTX, and it is every good as everyone says it is. The build quality is amazing, it’s glass smooth and spins forever. I just lightly oiled it’s bearing for the first time, and it’s One Drop smooth and quiet now. The Hog is built to the same exceptional standards. I will say that the finish on both is not Pyramatte good, but it’s acceptable—maybe my one ding on either throw.

All that said just to say this one is a keeper and will be in rotation for a long time. I absolutely love it.

6 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response. It sounds like a good one!

1 Like

the HOG is probably a better name for this!

7 Likes

I recently tried Legit Trip Wires as well. They have a different feel than most blends I’ve tried (i believe its the way they are twisted) and will be getting more soon. I see you have yellow in normal thickness lol, that’s the one I’ve been waiting on them to restock. Definitely worth trying for anyone who hasn’t tried them before.

3 Likes

Yea they are twisted tighter, can feel a little rougher at first but soften up after some play and washing. And last forever. I still use after a year and probably a hundred washes

1 Like

Got myself a topdeck and its great, but i still think the rev1 is better in everyway. Rev1 is more stable and isnt as clunky feeling, also the topdeck has a sharp edge and the rev1 is much softer on the catch. But the topdeck has nice slow feel to it, nice change of pace.
Rev1 > Topdeck

24 Likes

Been very tempted by this throw, especially after getting the Hanzo. Which is fantastic

1 Like

Hopefully I didn’t just rename it here on the forums :laughing: You guys did a fantastic job on this! I’m surprised it hasn’t gotten much attention as it really is unique and wonderful to throw. The quality is impeccable, too. I saw TokYo-yo’s video on the Haymaker X, and even though it’s different, I think the general comments ring true here, too. I’d say both my GTX and OG are 10/10. The only negative I have is that now the X is on my mind :laughing:

3 Likes

It is! I couldn’t find anything on it, but the specs intrigued me. I missed the Top Deck drop, so this was a consolation prize :laughing:, but so glad I pulled the trigger. The first few times, it will seem silly small if you haven’t played anything smaller than 55mm or so. It seemed like a gimmick to me for the first 30 minutes or so. I was a little disappointed, but kept throwing it because it spun through everything and I hit all my tricks pretty well. Then I realized how easy it was to flick around and redirect and really started to like it. An hour or so later, I was having a great time and couldn’t put it down—pretty much what you want from a throw. Duncan did a great job, and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

3 Likes

Er, not quite. YYE has yet to put their batch of Top Decks up for sale. You still have a chance to get one.

3 Likes