What are you doing today?

Not yet, although I’ve got a formula that works great for me! The blue white, and orange black are fades! I’ll post a picture in a minute

Edit: thanks btw!

4 Likes

Those look great!I have some nylon thread on the way to do some strings myself haha

2 Likes

It’s a pretty addicting facet of our hobby! What nylon do you use?

3 Likes

I’ve never tried nylon!I purchased some 100D/2(standard thickness) wooly nylon thread to try some. I’m kind of interested on how people debscribe it, but nylon string are usually expensive, so I wanna see if I can get some good result doing them myself haha.

2 Likes

I just tried nylon for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It’s a poly/nylon blend that One Drop makes and damn I love the stuff!
I’m really interested in trying a pure nylon blend out at some point soon’ish.

3 Likes

10 Likes

I am, too. I use kitty fat, but I want to try something more slick and better for whips. Already got lots of poly threads so I’ll be trying some blend and pure nylon when it arrives in a few weeks haha.

2 Likes

That looks so clean. Congrats!!!

2 Likes

Oh wow! Those are honestly some of the coolest looking strings I’ve seen! I’ve never seen fades like that on a string before!

2 Likes

What brand wooly is it? Just curious, I’ve tried gutterman, maxilock, and YLI. I personally have had a hard time with the YLI, but have loved the other 2. I just like how soft they feel honestly! Sooo smooth and silky! Plus my wrist appreciates the little bit of bounce they give the string.

3 Likes

Thank y’all! The fades are definitely awesome, but kind of a pita to make :sweat_smile: probably why we don’t see many of them.

2 Likes

Wooly is a kind of nylon thread, not a brand. I ordered it from AliExpress since I can’t find them on local shops haha.
When I did poly I used an unknown brand and Gutterman. I got good results, but it was so much time compsuming and I got something similar to kitty, so it is not profitable at all. Since nylon strings are expensive, I’ll try to make them so I can save some bucks haha.

2 Likes

Oh wow, I haven’t seen many home spinners attempt fades. I haven’t even seen very many professional string makers attempt fades, come to think of it.

I bet it was a tedious, yet rewarding process. It’s neat that you broke out of the standard style, they look cool man.

4 Likes

Right, but there are several different brands of “wooly” thread. YLI labels theirs and wooly nylon. Gutterman labels theirs as “bulky nylon” and “Maxilock stretch” is their equivalent. I’ll have to look into the Ali express stuff just to see!

@smileypants707 has this great write up discussing the differences between the brands.

3 Likes

I just know I buyed standard thread(torsion) of 100D/2 thickness haha. They were susprisingly cheap so I wanted to try some

2 Likes

Thanks man! I definitely to your advice, and have been reducing a good bit further than I used to and it has work out great!
The fades aren’t super tedious, they just take a good bit longer to make. Definitely worth making a few if you have the patience! It’s extremely rewarding when they come out nice

3 Likes

Nylon is definitely a little tricky at first, but super nice once you get a formula figured out!

2 Likes

I’ll send you some GREEN nylons that will blow your mind!

8 Likes

I definitely almost bought some green with my last purchase, just for @twitch77 but ended up not pulling the trigger… sorry twitch lol

6 Likes

@Jhammond93

/UNFRIENDED
/UNSUBSCRIBED
/BLOCKED
/THUMBS DOWNED

:angry:

7 Likes