What are the specs?

I’m trying to design my own yoyos, but I’m stuck. I don’t know the exact dimensions of the gap. does anyone know them? if not, who I could go to to get them?
list of measurements I need.
bearing seat; height, width
response pad area; depth, width
all walls in between; height, width
axle screw and the socket it goes in; all specs

1 Like

@MarkD will know

3 Likes

thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

what do you mean by this? like you have a yoyo you like and want it to have the same gap width? (the gap width is the space between the 2 halves of the yoyos)

Might be a good place to start

3 Likes

Mark has a good video on all of this, and It explains it all better than I can, so here’s his video https://youtu.be/kLCnDi-nuiU

3 Likes

thanks guys. i really appreciate it.

1 Like

i know. i meant the dimensions inside of that general area.

1 Like

My pleasure. If you have any questions after that I can try to help :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh ok :slight_smile:

For all of these it depends on what you are designing. The bearing seat is sized for the bearing - size C bearings have an inner radius of 1/4", so the bearing post needs to have that same diameter. They’re 3/16" wide, so each post can be no longer than a bit less than half that. The outer diameter is 1/2" so the wall that separates the bearing from the response pad moat needs to clear that diameter by a little bit (maybe .1mm larger in radius).

The standard CBC response pad is 19mm OD, 14.2mm ID, 1.15mm thick. Some pads are slightly thicker or thinner than this.

6061 aluminum should be at least 1.5mm thick for almost all features of the yoyo. That’s the minimum, not the recommended thickness.

Some parts of the guts will be much thinner than that, but they’ll work out, I promise.

The axle is an m4 grub screw, typically. They’re as long or as short as your design calls for. I’d start with 10mm long for a 6061 design and see where that takes you. m4 threads are 4mm in diameter at their largest points.

If you’re designing for a D or A bearing you’ll need to adjust the post, gap, and pad areas. You can use an m4 for these but it leaves a pretty thin amount of material in the bearing post. That might be fine and it might not be, depending on the design. You can use an m3 instead, if you wish. M3 threads are 3mm in diameter at their largest points.

The gap is whatever size you want it to be. After you’ve added dimensions to construct your guts, the gap is determined by a combination of the bearing width and the relative distance between the pad surface and the bearing seat (where the bearing’s inner race touches on the deepest part of the post).

I talk about how to dimension your own guts in this video. You can also compare how yours looks visually to mine to see if you’re on the right track.

One thing that is VERY important in my designs is that I place the origin (0,0,0) point to be perfectly in the center of the assembled yoyo. This lets you construct dimensions relative to that imaginary point, and makes the design process a lot more straightforward than it would be otherwise.

If you imagine a line going up from that point it forms a “center plane” that divides the entire yoyo in half.

The bearing seat will always be 3/32" away from that plane. The pad surface will be GapSize/2 away from that plane. The axle will be centered on the origin point and go 1/2 way in each direction, so your hole needs a bit of clearance past 5mm if you’re using a 10mm axle. And from that you know where your spike/hub/cup needs to be.

If you end up confused by how it all comes together you should spend some time examining the guts of a yoyo you own. Try to sketch it out on paper and then bring it into your CAD software using what you know about the specs of the different pieces.

7 Likes

whats 14.2 id?

14.2 mm inner diameter. od is short for outer diameter.

1 Like

Thx.

4 Likes

My new Yoyo made for 3a.
I love it already.

1 Like

give a heart if you would buy it

here’s the specs. (the weight isn’t included, well, because it isn’t a thing yet)
gap: 4.45 mm / 0.17 inches
width: 55.98 mm / 2.2 inches
diameter: 47.00 mm / 1.85 inches
response: CBC “Slim Pad” Size 19mm OD
bearing: Size C (.250 x .500 x .187)
Center Trac
designed in: USA
manufactured in: ???

You can find the weight by pulling up the properties of the render

1 Like

weight: 64.4g