Weekly Reviews 4- Jekyll and Hyde: SPINS - Lunar Wind

Introduction

Hey guys! So today I’ll be reviewing the Jekyll and Hyde: SPINS Lunar Wind. Jekyll and Hyde’s a new company started by 2 teens. So far they’ve made a prototype named the Lunar Wind. They’ve been constantly updating their news thread at http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,60160.0.html and I’ve been following them since they started. Once I saw the photos of the Lunar Wind when they finished making it, I loved it! It was really stunning and just looked amazing. They made a few prototypes and shipped them to testers. I, unfortunately, wasn’t one of them. But, I really wanted to try one and they received pretty positive feedback from the testers. Once they were shipped back, a few of them were put up for sale at $100 and I had just enough money saved up so I decided to snatch it up. I was really excited and couldn’t wait to try it out!

String Used: Mainly Candy Big YoYo String (came with the yoyo)

First Impressions

I absolutely loved the shape when I got it. It looked even better in person and I just couldn’t stop staring at it. It has a very unique look to it, and I just loved it, more so than any of my other throws! Of course, since it’s a prototype, it was raw, but that silver shine looked amazing. Holding it in my hand, the Lunar Wind is extremely comfortable. I couldn’t stop feeling it and looking at it. I just fell in love with the shape and look and couldn’t wait to try it out!

Specs

Diameter: 56mm
Width: 42.5mm
Gap Width: 4.5mm
Weight: 66.5g
Response: 19mm Silicone Pads
Bearing: Flat Ceramic

The specs are perfect for my preferences. Full sized, nice width and gap width, and the perfect weight. Not too heavy but not too light. The look, the specs, I never loved a yoyo more before trying it!

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh636/andy5692/image-57.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh636/andy5692/image-58.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh636/andy5692/image-59.jpg

On a Throw

The Lunar Wind plays amazingly! I like it even more than my Chief! It really works towards my preferences? It plays rather fast, which I really like. Along with that, it’s pretty stable, not quite as stable as the Chief, but it’s close! Spin times during tricks are ridiculous, surpasses the Chief if you throw in a center trac, which I did shortly after playing with the stock bearing, I’ll go into more detail about why later on. It was also good at horizontal, which I’m not too good at, but I’m interested in it and am working on improving my horizontal play. This thing grinds pretty well for a raw yoyo too. I can get 4-5 second finger and thumb grinds. No doubt, it’ll grind even longer once it gets blasted. It also has the perfect feel on the string, the weight is just right, it’s not too heavy, and it’s not too light. All of these aspects fit my preferences perfectly and I absolutely love this thing! To add to that, it’s also great at regens and decent at gyroflops with the stock bearing.

There was one thing I didn’t like about it though, but it’s not the fault of the yoyo itself. The yoyo was slightly responsive out of the box. I wasn’t sure if it was the bearing or the response. The yoyo was already tested so I assumed the response was already broken in. But, just to make sure, I kept playing with it for about half an hour but it was still slightly response… I decided to swap to a center trac to see if that would fix the issue which it did, made it dead unresponsive.

Pros
-long sleeping on combos
-plays on the faster side, but isn’t overwhelming(if you like that)
-smooth
-good regens
-good horizontal
-good gyro flops
-tight binds
-binds well when spin is low

Cons
-slightly responsive, even after breaking it in(can easily be fixed by swapping bearings)

The one con I have will most likely be fixed with the final product as they will likely switch to a center trac, konkave, or trifecta as their stock bearing.

Summary

The Lunar Wind has a very attractive, unique shape, and is very comfortable in the hand. To add to that, this yoyo plays amazing, and it’s my new favorite throw! And to think this is just a prototype! Some tweaks are going to be made to the final product to make it even better! For $100, this is a steal. Keep in mind that the final product will be $10-20 more due to blasting and annodizing. Even at $120 it’s still a steal, you could add $20 or more to that and it would still be fair! This is a great yoyo and I recommend that everyone gets one once the final product comes out! I give it a solid 9.5/10, cuz no yoyo is perfect, but the Lunar Wind is close :wink:

String Review

So, this yoyo came with a Big YoYo String sampler pack. I’m just going to do a little review on them. It came with their 5 most popular strings: type 1, slix, panther, candy, and Jake Steezy’s string. I wasn’t much of a fan of the type 1, slix, and Jake Steezy string. They played pretty average and were a little rough for my liking, but I like really soft string, so if you like strings that are a little rough, they might suit you better. But I thought those 3 played really average and didn’t really stand out. They play just slightly better than kitty if not as well as kitty, but costs more. I’d prefer getting kitty over these 3. The Panther string was decent, it had a slick, plasticky feel to it. Still a little too rough for me personally… But, they whipped really well so if you like a whippy string, this may be for you. I prefer it a little over kitty, is it worth the boost in price… Well, that’s up for you to decide. I still prefer my JAMS strings over the panther string though. Lastly, candy string. I liked the candy string. It’s soft, and holds tension well. These are 2 major factors for me when choosing string. A downside though is they don’t whip that well but it gets the job done. I prefer candy string over both kitty and JAMS strings.

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh636/andy5692/image-60.jpg

From left to right: Type 1, Slix, Steezey, Panther, Candy

Hope you guys enjoyed my review! Comments, Questions, etc. appreciated and greatly encouraged!

Bump

Bump

Final bump :stuck_out_tongue:

Great review man! And thanks for reviewing BigYoyo String at the end too! We really appreciate consumers opinions over at BYYS!