Week old Grasshopper X, dry bearing, responsive on tug?

I got a Grasshopper X last week and have only thrown it for maybe an hour total. I’ve been practicing different binds and noticed it’s more responsive than it should be. I started testing it and found it to be responsive on just a short tug, so I cleaned it and purposefully didn’t lube it.

The cleaning didn’t really seem to change anything.

What are the top things to check/troubleshoot when an unresponsive yoyo isn’t unresponsive. Can frayed string add response? I think it’s one of the Kitty String XLs from the sample pack promotion… Can fat string lead to tug binds?

2 Likes

If you keep the bearing on the yo-yo, and finger flick it, how many seconds does it spin?

If you take the bearing off the yo-yo and finger flick it, how many seconds does it spin?

If you swap bearings with a DIFFERENT yo-yo, does it help?

We’ve also seen another person recently with a rare bearing seat problem that caused their yo-yo to be partially responsive :warning: … anyways, testing it in this manner will reduce the # of variables!

2 Likes

Might be a good idea to check the response pads as well. I’ve had a few pads that had come partially unstuck which made the yoyo act responsive.

3 Likes

What’s a good amount of time for a bearing to spin on the tip of a pencil? The one that came with my GH X can’t make it to 7 seconds, and many times doesn’t make it to 4 seconds.

1 Like

6 secs is an absolute minimum for an unresponsive, I like to see 10+ secs and a really fancy high end clean bearing could do 30+ secs.

So yeah 4 secs is bad. The cleaning is clearly not working. Maybe try my HYPERSPIN™ thin lubing method and see if that helps any (assuming you have access to thin lube and compressed air).

It is not unheard of for bearings to just sometimes be bad for whatever reason, I’ve had a few (even a ceramic!) that I vigorously cleaned and lubed many times and could not get them right… I ended up throwing 'em out.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I swapped in my only backup (OD 10-ball) and now it’s dead responsive and way smoother. I’ll try cleaning this one a bit more.

Do you have a favorite bearing? I’ve only purchased a 10-ball and a YYF Concave and I can’t say I can tell much of a difference at my skill level.

2 Likes

To me that says it’s totally responsive. I thought you wanted UNresponsive.

2 Likes

yeah, you’re right. I was in a hurry when responding… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Did you buy it new? Sounds like it was just a bad bearing. Id you bought through us we can definitely help get a new bearing for you! Just let us know. :blush:

3 Likes

Yeah, I ordered it from YYE and got it in the mail just last Tuesday. I couldn’t resist the bright green fade!

1 Like

OK - great! I see the order - I’ll send you a PM to confirm address and get a new bearing for you. :blush:

5 Likes