Video Game Reviews: Assassin's Creed 3

Hey! Some of you may or may not know that on top of being a teacher, I also spend some time as the reviews editor and managing editor of a gaming site, SideQuesting.com. So, I thought that I’d post the reviews that I write here to get some discussion going. Here’s my most recent one about Assassin’s Creed 3. I ended up giving it 3/5 stars.

Assassin’s Creed 3 review: A game divided against itself

A fine line exists between balance and war. The Assassin’s Creed franchise has always been about the struggle between the Assassin Order and the Knights Templar: Is peace obtained through freedom? Or is it obtained through control and subjugation? Take a look any functioning government today, and you’ll probably find that this dichotomy is at its best when both freedom and order co-exist.

You kind of want the opposite in a game. When developers design a game and fill it with content, one hopes that each design choice puts more good into the game than bad. This exact struggle exists within Assassin’s Creed 3.

For every positive thing I noticed, there was something negative to accompany it — and not vice versa. Unfortunately, this relationship does not reciprocate as there are some flaws that often go unanswered by any redeeming qualities.

Read the rest here: http://www.sidequesting.com/video-game-review/assassins-creed-3-review-a-game-divided-against-itself/