Using sand paper to "un-ano" my Ti?

Anodized my Krown Ti and went too far on the voltage and would like to re-anodize it. What is the best way to take the oxide layer off without scratching the surface too much? Also as I was ano-ing it, it started getting cloudy (picture 1). How can I make sure that does not happen again? I have ano-ed this yoyo before up to a blue color (picture 2) if that matters.

picture 1 (what i want to re ano):

picture 2 (what it was):

2 Likes

Interested in learning how to ano (been wondering for a while and your post sparked the search) I went and watched a couple of videos. One said that “bar keepers friend” and little elbow grease will remove the oxidation.

2 Likes

Rust remover will take it off but I would probably ask someone more experienced.

Ultimately it is about removing the color layer.

This is with anything;

The courser the grit, the faster what you want removed comes off. Courser = More surface scratches.

The way this works is multiple passes. EXAMPLE; Use 120 grit to remove the majority, use 220 to reduce the scratches left by the 120. 400 to reduce 220, 600 to reduce the 400… keep going to the final “Polish/Finish” you desire.

Starting with a finer grit (Higher number) results in less scratches but takes more time to get the desired results.

Define expectations and final product, then put the elbo grease in.

Mechanical tools can aid in the final product, but can aslo aid in risk.

Cautioning on the side of less is more, start at a higher grit number and put more time into it. Labor of love if you will.

As far as Anodizing Ti, there is a lot of scientific documentation on this. Follow the “Recipe” as accurately as possible.

4 Likes