Useful Terminology for New people

When I first got on the forum the terminology really confused me, so here’s a little guide

Buy/Sell/Trade Terms (aka BST)
MIB=Mint in box. In perfectly new condition. Unused.

NMIB=Nearly mint in box. Or near mint in box. Close to new condition

Beat=Marks all around the rims of the yoyo

OBO= Or best offer. Usually follows a price.

FT=For Trade

FS=For Sale

LF=Never really figured out what the LF stands for, but it means what the person wants

Bump= A post that has no really meaning, it is just used to make it so the thread posted in becomes on the front page of the Buy/Sell/Trade

Ding=A regular scratch, mark or any sort of damage to the yoyo that takes out a little scratch of the ano

Pinprick=A tiny little dent/mark that is about the size of the head of a pin

Ano Flaw= An imperfection, or mess-up, in the ano (See the ano definition under general)

NYYR=Non-yoyo related. Just random stuff in BSTs that don’t relate to yoyoing

WTT=Want to trade. Similar to FT

WTB=Want to buy. Similar to LF

WTTF=Want to trade for. A combo of LF and FT

General Terms

Ano=The coloring on a colored yoyo. It is not like paint, it is put on though a chemical process

Throw=A term for a yoyo

1a=Regular yoyoing

2a=Yoyoing with two looping yoyos

3a=Yoyoing with two yoyos designed for string tricks

4a=Yoyoing with a yoyo that is not attached to the string. Also known as Off-string

5a=Yoyoing with a counterweight. Aka, a weight attached to the side of string that is normally attached to your finger.

Colorway=The type of coloring on a yoyo. Types include splash, where it appears another color has been splashed on, acid wash where it appears one color has been corroded, revealing another color, and speckle, with little dots of color. There are many more kinds of colorways.

Freestyle=A type of yoyo performance with no set tricks, you control what your own performance is. Freestyles are usually limited to 1-4 minutes.

Response=The sorta rubbery looking rings inside the yoyo. It is usually rubbery looking. That is not always the case.

Raw=It indicates that the yoyo has no ano.

PM=A personal message. Like an email, but just to another member of the forum.

YYE=Yoyoexpert

YYN=Do not mention on these forums a lot. If you have questions about it you should pm a longtime member.

Lube=A liquid used to lubricate a yoyo bearing

Silicone=A type of yoyo response

ForumeXpert=An outstanding member of this forum

Blast=A type of finish on a yoyo. It helps with grinding tricks.

Grinding=A trick element where the yoyo is spinning on your skin

Floaty=A feeling associated with a yoyo’s play. Usually relates to the light feeling of a yoyo, the way it almost “floats” on the string. Individual’s definitions may vary

Vibe=A very subjective term. Varies for nearly every individual. It typically descibes the vibration of a yoyo while spinning. Once again, very subjective.

Wobble=Similar to vibe in the sense that it has a negative connotation, and relates to imperfections in the yoyo’s spin. It usually relates the the yoyo wobbling while spinning.

Organic=Describes the yoyo’s shape, meaning the shape looks natural, not angular, with smooth curves.

H-Shape=Now a rather generic term, it originally described a yoyo that, when viewed from the side, appeared as an H-like shape. Now the term sometimes also includes shapes that have only the slightest resemblance to an H. More like an H thats perpendicular lines are angled outwards.

Undersized= Under 54 mm in diameter.

Fullsized=Anywhere from 54 to 56 mm

Oversized=Generally, over 56 mm

FHZ=Abbreviation for A Duncan Freehand Zero

DM=Dark Magic

DMII=Dark Magic 2

Suicide=a type of yoyo trick where a mount of some sort is released and swung clockwise, and is caught, keeping it in the same mount. Reference Andre’s tutorials for a better description

Modder=A person who modifies yoyos.

IGR=Inner groove ring. A lip like thing on the inside rim of a yoyo that makes thumb grinds easier.

Hubstacks(aka ta-tas)= A device that is on both sides of a yoyo. When the yoyo is spinning, you can grab the hubstacks and the yoyo will continue spinning, because the hubstack is attached to the yoyo using a bearing that can spin/not spin even if the yoyo is moving/not moving.

Horizontal=A type of yoyoing where the yoyo is spinning horizontally instead of vertically.

Moebius= A style of yoyoing where the slipknot is removed from the finger and incorporated into
tricks. You can use Moebius in 1a freestyles.

Slack=When you pinch the string with one hand and let the string go slack, and manipulate that slack to do tricks.

Stock String - String that comes stock with the yoyo, or you buy in bulk packs under the store’s brand.

GM2=Grind Machine Two

PGM=Plastic Grind Machine

Yoyo Companies/Products

CLYW=Caribou Lodge (was Yoyo Works)

YYF=Yoyofactory

YYJ=Yoyojam

X3=X cubed yoyos

YYR=Yoyorecreation

VsNewton/VSNYYC=Vs. Newton Yoyo Works

OD=One Drop

ILYY=I Love YoYo

TP=Turning Point

G2=G squared

CYYC=Chico Yoyo Company

SPYY=Saturn Precision Yoyos

STYY=String Theory Yoyos

10 Ball=Usually relates to a One Drop Ten Ball bearing. It has 10 balls instead of the typical 8.

KK=Describes a konkave bearing (concave). May relate to a Dif-e-yo bearing.

Peak - The first yoyo by the company CLYW. Often regarded as one of the best yoyo’s of all time.

This list is just products/companies that are commonly referred by abbreviations. Or just really famous.

Modification Terms

Satin=a type of modification where you use sandpaper to roughen the surface of a yoyo, usually with a drill, and create a texture that is good for grinding. There are two kinds of satining, spiral and the regular way. With spiral you hand-satin the yoyo, using diagonal strokes with the sandpaper, to create, after many strokes, a spiral effect. Traditional satining involves attaching the yoyo to a drill with a chuck, spinning the yoyo and pressing sandpaper against it, creating a texture. This also can strip a yoyo of ano.

Striping a yoyo=There are two ways the term stripped applies to yoyoing. The first way, is when it is used to describe a yoyo that has been “stripped” of it’s anodization (ano). The second way is to describe a yoyo thats threads in the axel have been stripped, which causes the yoyo to not be able to screw together.

Recess(v) - Cutting a ring outside of the bearing seat to put silicone into for decreased response.

Recess(n) - The groove outside of the bearing seat where pads, an o-ring or silicone go.

Schmoove Ring - An extra set of recesses outside of the silicone recess on a highwalled yoyo to help with suicides.

SPR(n) - The Spacers that hold both bearing and response that came in Buzz-Ons and Delrin Crucial yoyos. They come in different bearing sizes so you can experiment.

SPR(v) - When a Modder cuts a recess into a yoyo so that it will accept SPR’s.

Weight Rings - Rings of a (Usually) denser material than what the rest of the yoyo is made of that are placed under the rim or replace the rim.

Hub Replacement - Either done for fun, or done to make a yoyo playable again, it involves the process of cutting the hub out of one yoyo and replacing it with the hub of another.

Side Effects - An ingenious idea from the company One Drop. It is a removable axle housing that allows you to change the weight of a yoyo.

PC (Powder Coat) - This is a process that involves putting a layer that can look like paint around the outside of a yoyo. This is done by few, and may cause vibe if done incorrectly. It has the advantage over paint of being able to be translucent.

Grind Rings - Grooves cut into the catch zone of a yoyo that decrease friction for use in grind tricks.

Catch Zone - The outside face of the yoyo. What you see when you look at it’s profile.

Cup - The part of the yoyo that you see from the side.

Rim-weighted - A yoyo that puts much of it’s weight in the rims.

Thanks to Wildcat23 for modification section.
And thanks to everyone else who contributed.

More definitions to come! This is just a start! Post your own definitions and I will gladly add them. Also, please point out any errors that you see.

13 Likes

“LF” stands for “Looking For” :slight_smile:
This post is a good idea. I can see it being helpful for newcomers.

2 Likes

Nice guide would have been very helpful :). Maybe include 1/x like rarity and such

This is pretty good. Should be helpful to new people.
By the way LF means"looking for"
The abbreviation that always irritated me was 'WTB" which I guess means “will trade big” for whatever item is described.
There’s one I think we should collectively scrub out of our terminology is “NMIB”. That irritates the heck outta me. It’s either MINT or its not.

1 Like

This seems like it would be helpful to new people.

To add on to the Vs. Newton abbreviation, a lot of people also abbreviate it VSNYYC.

“WTB” means “Want to buy.”

A few you might want to add: floaty. Vibe. Wobble. Organic. H-shape. High wall. KK. Oversize, undersized, full size, etc. just some general stuff we all take for granted that new people might not recognize.

1 Like

Ano-Anodization. The process by which a yoyo is “colored”.

I have that…but I think its sorta buried

But back on topic:

String types and types of tricks (slacks, whips, suicides, tech, etc.)
CW - counterweight
Satin?
FHZ?

Just a few I could think of.

Nice list!! It would’ve been great when I first started. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a fantastic list Adam. It may not be completely exhaustive, but it’s a tremendous start. Thank you so much for your effort in compiling this all together for those just coming into throwing. I know it will prove to be extremely helpful to newbies and even some of us who have been hanging around here for a while.

It’s posts such as this one that make the YYE forums such a special place to congregate.

I agree. I am probably going to wait till a modder comes upon this thread and lists all of the definitions for mods and I will add them. I am a noob with modding. Thank you all for the help with this thread! I remember when I thought MIB was a special edition kind of yoyo… :stuck_out_tongue:

Totally agree with Banjo. Too many people are concerned with silly stuff on e forums. It’s nice to have someone contribute to the newer throwers. A big part of expanding this community is making new people feel welcome and informed. Kudos to you!

Recess(v) - Cutting a ring outside of the bearing seat to put silicone into for decreased response.

Recess(n) - The groove outside of the bearing seat where pads, an o-ring or silicone go.

Schmoove Ring - An extra set of recesses outside of the silicone recess on a highwalled yoyo to help with suicides.

SPR(n) - The Spacers that hold both bearing and response that came in Buzz-Ons and Delrin Crucial yoyos. They come in different bearing sizes so you can experiment.

SPR(v) - When a Modder cuts a recess into a yoyo so that it will accept SPR’s.

Weight Rings - Rings of a (Usually) denser material than what the rest of the yoyo is made of that are placed under the rim or replace the rim.

Hub Replacement - Either done for fun, or done to make a yoyo playable again, it involves the process of cutting the hub out of one yoyo and replacing it with the hub of another.

Side Effects - An ingenious idea from the company One Drop. It is a removable axle housing that allows you to change the weight of a yoyo.

Peak - The first yoyo by the company CLYW. Often regarded as one of the best yoyo’s of all time.

PC (Powder Coat) - This is a process that involves putting a layer that can look like paint around the outside of a yoyo. This is done by few, and may cause vibe if done incorrectly. It has the advantage over paint of being able to be translucent.

Stock String - String that comes stock with the yoyo, or you buy in bulk packs under the store’s brand.

Grind Rings - Grooves cut into the catch zone of a yoyo that decrease friction for use in grind tricks.

Catch Zone - The outside face of the yoyo. What you see when you look at it’s profile.

Cup - The part of the yoyo that you see from the side.

Rim-weighted - A yoyo that puts much of it’s weight in the rims.

Adam, your a genius! Great idea for this, I’m sure this will help a lot of people, i even learned some stuff.

STICKY!!!

The first and [hopefully] only post that greatly exceeds Studio42’s research papers…I mean, posts.

Anyway, well done. Good job.

I thought we were going to try and come up for names for new people instead of newbie or no0b.
I was here to nominate calling them imperials or x-brains.

Oh well, great post anyways I guess :wink: