US Nats this weekend - who's taking the gold?

last contest gentry won was in 2016
rooting 4 gentry all da way

3 Likes

I totally want to see Gentry perform, but i’m not sure how i feel about him winning.

3 Likes

He placed first in the semis :eyes:

4 Likes

Ok ok. Gentry might got it. Honestly it would be so cool if he won, to show all those who dislike him that he’s still got it.

5 Likes

I’m rooting for Hunter!

2 Likes

Hunter impressed me too.

But Gentry simply dominated with his score of 97. If he nails it like that again in the finals, he’s going to be awfully hard to beat.

2 Likes

I dislike him but I still think he’s going to win. I want Kieran or Connor to win but I wouldn’t bet against him

3 Likes

What’s wrong with Gentry?

2 Likes

That seems harsh coming from you! I think it’s easy to think that his this perfect character if you only ever see him on social media, when in reality I’m sure he has his personal flaws like the rest of us. And no punching!

1 Like

I think when we see/meet someone who seems so charming and cheerful and friendly all the time, our instinct is to be suspicious of their authenticity. This reaction isn’t really a reflection of the actual person (who we may not really know very well), but of their public-facing persona.

I don’t know Gentry personally, so I neither like nor dislike him personally. But I like his yoyo play and his apparent love for the game. I also like that he knows how to present himself in public (or in front of a camera), even if that comes off as fake to some people.

6 Likes

Nerds have an aversion to people who look like the “cool kids” or jocks. Gentry is fine with me, but I can see why people just don’t like him; pretty boy without autism.

Im rooting for Gentry now. Good luck to him, hope he can have continued success after his somewhat outdated winning routines.

3 Likes

This. Yeah, please don’t anyone here get me wrong; I’m not dogging on the guy. You stated my feelings pretty well with this @zslane

3 Likes

I would say the “cool kids” in yoyo are the scales and SF sponsored folks.

Who I personally think are great

They’re the elite American group that keep in touch with each other. While Gentry and Evan are the ones at the top, they’re not really that involved with other top American players

Gentry really keeps to himself and has his own agenda

2 Likes

This is way too much true.

4 Likes

I think, frankly, some people are biased against Gentry because of the way he looks.

YoYo culture is a bit “counter culture” or whatever, a lot of the people identify themselves as outside of the main stream and Gentry looks like he just stepped out of “Saved By The Bell” and I think people assume stuff about him because of that.

I think it’s really unfortunate, he is charismatic and cheerful and that shouldn’t be held against him or the fact that he doesn’t wear all black or have a sleeve tattoo or gauged ears

3 Likes

Remy Baskin.

5 Likes

I’ll be honest that I some times think some of the North American players are to clique-y.

4 Likes

No pro players really look like they participate in the counter culture though. I think the problem is that he seems more charismatic and personable than what’s considered the norm.

1 Like

Is anyone staying at the hilton?

1 Like

Well also outsiders in the sense of being “nerds” or whatever

2 Likes