Unsold Yo-Yo's?

What happens to unsold yo-yo’s? I know about the island of misfit toys from Christmas specials but I was wondering if there is a special place for unsold yo-yo’s? What happens to them? Is there a Marshalls’ for yo-yo’s?

4 Likes

david mcevoy on facebook is where all yoyos go to die

7 Likes

one’s i didn’t think i could/should sell or trade got given away to friends, fam, and at club. in my reality they’re all still out there living their best lives :yoyo:

edit: oooh you meant stores…:saluting_face:

3 Likes

Mystery boxes are the island of misfit toys

7 Likes

Yeah that was what I was thinking too. but does that account for them all? Do they sell enough Lucky-Boxes to clear out all of them? What about amazon?

1 Like

I’ll give ya $20 for the lot

1 Like

image

1 Like

I know that at my old job, unsold auto parts that were unreturnable (mostly hoses, hardware, and other unique small parts) were written off during inventory and thrown into a bucket in our break room, where they were pillaged from time to time, and eventually thrown away. I think they technically were supposed to go straight in the trash, in the trash, but people would pick through them. But warehouses had rules that parts $8 and under were unreturnable. For yo-yos, I don’t know. I bet all the Amazon yoyo returns are thrown away at the Amazon warehouse.

There are companies that specialize in buying odd lots of returned or otherwise unsold goods for pennies on the dollar from online sellers like amazon. In turn they sell them locally in retail surplus stores. It can be quite a lucrative business.

4 Likes

You can buy mystery pallets

1 Like

He’ll be back… He does this like every 2 years. :man_shrugging::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Very sad to see him go. I hope to own a Survivalist some day. Or maybe someone else will make an awesome new yoyo out of that plastic, if it’s available anywhere. I’m looking at you, @AudreySickburn!

3 Likes

I have an HDPE design or two in my back catalog :joy: I just haven’t tracked down somewhere that can turn the recycled version on cnc as opposed to the virgin kind.

As far as unsold yo-yos go I put them in a drawer and wait patiently for someone to buy them. I’ve got like probably 200 on hand right now :joy: I need more drawers.

5 Likes

Same as any old stock, I reckon. Hold onto it as long as it’s not costing you, discount it until someone will buy. If nobody buys, then dump the stock. It could be at a charity or a scrapyard: it depends on how ‘generous’ you’re feeling with your unsellable goods. Recycling isn’t worth it for most businesses, unless we’re talking recycling aluminium. But then I’m not sure if anodisation affects whether it can be recycled or not.

2 Likes

Yeah I wonder…. I means it’s aluminum oxide and dye, aluminum oxide forms on all raw aluminum when exposed to O2. However, it’s a much thinner layer that occurs naturally than the ano process can produce… I really do wonder.

I mean I have for sure had painted and ano’d Aluminum in piles I’ve sent to scrap, they never gave me a problem about it.

1 Like

Well, that would be our answer then! Either they have a way of filtering it out, or it just doesn’t matter (e.g. the dye evaporates, or doesn’t mix in; or DOES mix in but doesn’t affect the quality of the output)

I imagine when they melt it all down, anything that’s not aluminum gets burnt up or skimmed out (like pot metal)

It depends on the alloy composition; 60xx-series aluminum alloys—commercially known as Anticorodal (the name hints at their corrosion resistance)—do not form surface oxidation. This is because their mixture contains elements like chromium; chromium oxidizes first, creating a transparent chromium oxide layer that acts as a completely insulating barrier, preventing oxygen from coming into contact with the underlying elements, including the aluminum itself.
This is the same process that occurs with stainless steel.
I own 6061 or 6082 aluminum yo-yos that are nearly twenty years old and remain in exactly the same condition as the day I first received them.

1 Like

Woah that’s interesting, good point about the alloy! Thank you for the —correction— clarification lol

I wonder if this is why my completely raw dif-e-yo stays so shiny, I’m curious what its composition is

It’s not a correction, it’s a clarification… :+1:

1 Like