Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

I think sometimes a well performing yoyo (Long spinning stable) can help to land a trick, despite our sloppy technique.

3 Likes

I learned how to play on one identical (or close) to that in BTTF. My dad owns it. Chiquita travel guitar I believe it’s called. Tiny thing is about the length of my arm, shoulder cap to fingertip.

The perfect size for MJ Fox!

1 Like

I agree 100%, for me it is much easier to learn a trick on an ultra-stable bimetal than on a high walled organic. However, once the muscle memory is there, my feeling is the high walled organic goes a long way toward helping me make the trick smooth and cleaning up my execution of the trick. Same idea with responsive yoyos…I like to tell the story that when Iearned Buddha’s Revenge on an unresponsive, I really couldn’t figure out why it had that name. Switch to responsive, my sloppy technique taught me the reason behind the name :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I can imagine! Same was with Eli Hops as i tried to do them responsive. That’s like awesome hard!
I feel like different throws do different things for me more easy. Fingerspin was nearly impossible for me until i got a nice Delrin yoyo with an really nice Fingerspin cup. Now i get it done at nearly every yoyo. Binding is still a thing i need to practice more but so every throw has so me kind of “special field” it excells in.
I really like to practice tricks on my more undersized throws after i have landed them on my Bigger/BiMetal ones.

3 Likes

I’m the same. I was amazed how much better the OG PopStar became after I gained a little skill :slight_smile:

One of my favorite responsive/fixed axle tricks is an Eli Hop into a trapeze stall. For me, this is a lot easier than multiple responsive Eli Hops.

3 Likes

Hmmmm… I’m not the problem, it’s my yoyo :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Yoyoers eat really unhealthy at contest and live off pizza soda and (for those old enough) alcohol.

4 Likes

Unpopular maybe just me…
Out of one trillion possibilities of human movement, why do yoyoers stomp their one foot as to emphasize the trick, like they are falling over and stopping themselves…
Spin on the spot, tap dance anything but the stomp!!!
Aghghghhhghhh drives me mad…
Think it’s just me.

7 Likes

Anything less than $200 is just a compromise in performance and quality. :wink:

4 Likes

I notice some users use the BST like its the Tinder App.

8 Likes

swiping left on that comment

is that how it works?

4 Likes

It’s a simple extra movement/cue that doesn’t affect the plane of play at all (like spinning would) and can help with timing something to music for performance points.

But I do see your point and think you’d enjoy this freestyle because of it :slight_smile:

The rules were literally changed to be explicit that non-yoyoing parts couldn’t be scored because of this freestyle lmao

Wut

10 Likes

i’m sure it’s very much like the dj’s ‘fist pump’ or the metal heads ‘head bang’… each subculture (and for some, counterculture) has ingrained metronomes they use for their applicable bodies of work…

exhibits shown for reference…

11 Likes

My opinion about yoyos doesn’t matter.

3 Likes

Only legendary performances like this can completely shift the rules. Shu’s acrobatics make his routines incredible to watch, along with the 2A skills that you will never have.

6 Likes

I think that a competition focused meta is holding back innovation in yoyoing. Don’t get me wrong, competition breeds innovation as well, but it limits that innovation to a certain context. Some of the best yoyoers will inevitably limit their trick creation to the confines of what will score. Not always, but if you spend most of your time yoyoing within a comp oriented mindset, you’re naturally going to create within that context more often than not.

As long as those with skill and ingenuity are focused mostly on competition scoring, innovation outside of that context that pushes yoyoing forward as a whole will be much less common.

10 Likes

I guess most of the higher-skilled throwers regard yoyoing as a sport rather than an art. They’re focused on winning competitions and proving who is “best” than on pure creativity and out-of-the-box innovation. Maybe that’s a reflection of the age of most yoyoers? :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

interesting you bring that up. as i was going to mention how the impacts of covid, and therefore the lack of contests, are shining a light on the less ‘mainstream’ aspects of ‘meta’ yoyo in the discussions of the ‘worst player’ thread.

for instance, the less competition-based year has provided an opportunity for not only other folks to get noticed, put content up in other places… and maybe not realize they aren’t as bad as they think they are (happens to me), and there are more people like ‘us’ (see: worst player in the world thread) that have a real vested interest in yoyoing, the community, and want to take a more active role in making it successful, and bringing it to the forefront - even beyond a ‘niche age 12 - 24 y/o’ hobby. because obviously, there are a boatload more than that (i grabbed that out of the air) range…

so, i was thinking of contest ideas yesterday, and i have some stuff starting to brew… we have resources, people, friends… you can play by their rules, and try to win in their game… or start a new game, and see where it goes… check the rules as you go along. doesn’t have to be a popularity contest, there are plenty of those, right?

we can even take away points for foot stomps :man_shrugging:t3:, two points if you’re sponsored

6 Likes

Don’t forget to award extra points for using a “fun” organic yoyo. :wink:

4 Likes

@zslane is hereby elected the Chief of Fun Police then!

for reference on old people/worst player thread

3 Likes