Unparalleled - TiSS Flash

I recently came into possession of an Unparalleled- TiSS Flash, and while it’s a phenomenal yo-yo capable of handling just about any trick I throw at it, it feels kind of… fake. I have a lot of titanium yo-yos and none of them feel quite like the TiSS Flash. It does not produce the same humming sound as other yo-yos of the same material do, neither during play nor when using your finger to strike it. And the walls are so thin, it feels as if they’re made of cardboard. Now, you can definitely say that those thin walls were put there on purpose (that’s one of the main reasons titanium is used in yo-yo design), and that the lack of a specific humming sound can be attributed to the steel rims. But I have several yo-yos with thin walls that don’t feel the same. And my Luftverk - Fulvia BTM-R is a bimetal yo-yo constructed using the same two materials as the Flash, yet it definitely produces a distinctive titanium sound.

Does anyone else own or has ever tried one? I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

2 Likes

God help us yoyo makers if we a reaching a point where a yoyo has to sound a certain way.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this is meant to be humorous, serious, or both, so I’ll just answer it in a serious way just in case. I did not mean that the yo-yo has to sound a certain way. Apologies for any misunderstanding. I’m simply questioning its authenticity as I did not buy it from a store but from an independent seller. If I bought yo-yos just for the sound, I wouldn’t have purchased one of your wooden ones :wink:. That being said, titanium is often purchased for this specific quality. There are many people, for instance, who have bought a Luftverk - 000 simply because they enjoy the sound it makes. And while I find nothing wrong with that, I don’t really have a problem if a yo-yo made out of titanium lacks this particular property.

Now, if you were simply joking, then… :rofl:

Thank you for the comment!

By the way, I’m enjoying the Harbinger quite a bit, humming sound or no humming sound.

3 Likes

But Titanium yo-yo’s do have a particular sound. Some have a twang, and some, like the Seventh Heaven; literally sings on the string. Any titanium yo-yo that does not have a high-pitched, metallic vibration is a bit unusual.

Doesn’t the Rebira have a titanium sound when playing?

3 Likes

You mean the Ribiera he sold to me? Yes… yes it does :wink:

4 Likes

Precisely. All of my other titaniums make a very titanium-like sound, and I have more than 20. That’s why I thought it was strange that this one doesn’t. But there is only one non-destructive way to test if it’s real titanium, and I would need to go to a lab to do that. So, I thought someone who owns one might be able to shed some light on this. My best guess is that the steel rings prevent the sound from traveling down to the body. But my Fulvia has steel rings and produces a very distinctive sound (granted, not the same sound as my other titaniums, but still a very distinctive non-aluminum sound).

Yes, absolutely. One of the most beautiful ones I’ve heard, in fact.

2 Likes

My Rebira has a titanium sound…
BTW; the Rebira does not get enough love. Fabulous Ti throw. Heck, just about anything JT is high-quality and high-performance.

4 Likes

I agree. The Ribira is currently my favorite yo-yo. The only ones that are more precious to me are the YYR - Draupnir that my girlfriend bought for me, and the Japan Technology - Frost which yoyodoc sold me. But I love playing with the Ribira the most.

2 Likes

You may have 20 titanium yo-yos, but how many are bimetal?
Mine that are titanium bimetal are very close to silent. I believe that because the stainless has different weight and density it dampens the typical titanium sounds.

3 Likes

I only have one, the Luftverk- Fulvia BTM-R, which is not silent. I believe you might be correct, however. I was thinking the same thing. It’s like placing your fingers around the rim. That would definitely make any titanium go silent. I just wanted to make sure it’s not fake.

Thank you for the comment! If yours are silent, then perhaps it’s normal. Out of curiosity, which ones do you own?

1 Like

I noticed the exact same phenomenon on the Ti Hummingbird which also has steel rings so I concur.

2 Likes

Alright, I think that solves the problem then. The measurements and everything else seems correct, so I feel confident enough that it’s authentic. I think we can close this thread now. Thanks to everyone for their input!

1 Like

I also have the tIsS hummingbird
And the heirloom.
As much as I love the sounds the titanium makes I also love how silent they can be.
I believe the bimetals in general tends to be much quieter overall.

2 Likes

I always wanted to try that one. I love the way they torched them. I’ll definitely be picking up an Heirloom at some point. That looks very classy.

It seems to be the case.

1 Like

Very happy with my heirloom.

2 Likes

You’re really making me want to get one. And I know just the guy to ask. I might just shoot him a message tomorrow to see if he still has one.