“Unofficial” Classic Trick Remix of The Month - July “Gyroscopic Flop"

@Isaac had asked to not be included in the drawing last month, so I’m waiting to hear back from him if he also wants to be excluded this time.

We had 8 entries for this month’s trick. Is this getting enough responses to keep it going? I’ve got an idea for next month. What do you think? @AndreBoulay are we doing enough to keep YYE’s support?

I was crazy busy in June and July. I think I can do a bit better at promoting August’s trick, but if it’s run it’s course, I’m okay with that too.

5 Likes

I know I’m late but I’d been working towards this. Not super clean, gyro on a top is a lot different than yoyo (at least in difficulty for me)

Late or not, here I am.

9 Likes

first time I’ve ever seen gyro flop on a spin top. Brilliant stuff!! :clap:

3 Likes

Hell yeah man, nice job!!

1 Like

Maybe if there can be some sort of thumbnail that can be posted to social media? Something maybe yye could post on Instagram ?

3 Likes

Awesome job! The prize was for coming up with a new trick that has a Gyro Flop in it or a variation on the trick. However, if you want it, I’ll send you a Short Circuit for the great effort and for being the only person to post a spin top example! It’s a fixed tip top which will allow you to do different tricks than the Elec-Trick.

I’m also going to indefinitely extend the entry deadline for top tricks. Post a new trick or variation of the Flop on a Top for a Top!

As for being late, I’m embarassed that I haven’t posted one up. I still will…

Good idea. Also, maybe any of us who post on IG can use #yoyoremix?

If I don’t hear back from Isaac, I’ll make a choice for him and pick winners tomorrow.

4 Likes

I’m still game to support it! :blush:

6 Likes

Thanks @Myk_Myk (and yoyo friends)! I’m gonna keep at it and try to hit a variation. My trick vocabulary is limited at this time with the top, but I’m still gonna work hard towards a variation and new trick.

1 Like

Trick development on tops is way harder than on yoyos, I believe, so don’t beat yourself up about it. I was just trying to spur that aspect on. Having any new interest in spin tops is as important and exciting, though!

PM me your address if you want that Short Circuit.

2 Likes

Fun note, the gyroscopic flop yo-yo trick was inspired by watching the Lao do a flop type move on a spin top. It was at that Vans Warped Tour back in 1999. It was a terrible day, everything was going wrong, and I was heading out the gates to head back to my car when I bumped into Lao. He was super cool and friendly, which was nice after a particularly rough day. I saw him do some sort of upside down top move and I thought “I bet I can do that with a yo-yo”. Props to Lao for being such a friendly human. I wonder what he’s up to these days.

7 Likes

The winners are:

I’m not sure where the generous patron who offered the $25 gift card has gone, but can you be patient and wait a day or two? If I don’t hear from them, I’ll cover it.

@AndreBoulay, will you reach out to @slar for his prize?

I have my tricks down, but my tripod is still broken. I WILL POST THEM, though! Better late than never…

7 Likes

Hell yeah guys! Big congrats! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

I’d love to hear what you guys pick up with the gift cards! lol I’m nosey like that! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I know, I still want to know what @Jackkcaj got for June’s trick.

As this goes on, I know it becomes more and more likely for the same people to win multiple times, but I’m not going to try to keep track of it.

As a matter of fact, @Chriscatastrophe won the Legend last month but never sent me an address. I guess he was holding out for a better prize!

4 Likes

Oh sorry I never paid attention . LOL

3 Likes

Congtats !

5 Likes

Okay nobody will see these since this is over, but here are my entries:

Stunt Helicopter

Maybe just a combo and not really a new trick. Although, I guess that’s true of many yoyo tricks. Also, maybe any combo with a Gyro and a Helicopter in it could be called “Stunt Helicopter”.

Man in the Box

For you whippersnappers, that’s a song by Alice In Chains.

6 Likes

Sweet! I love the direction you went with this trick/combo.

After posting my vid I started working out the mach 5 turns, but this goes way beyond. Good stuff there @Myk_Myk !!!

3 Likes

haha holy crap! That was amazing!

I REALLY need to pick myself up a top.

–edit–
Oh I see you added a second video to the post!
…did you do a trick?
I’m sorry.
I was totally distracted by Puppy! :heart:

3 Likes

Thanks guys!!!

Just edited to add my yoyo submission.

3 Likes