Unbelievable

for context i had made a tiktok for documenting/recreating old trick videos and had done one of derrick walkers tricks (aka ignitus) and he had seen it and left this comment. i am in utter disbelief

21 Likes

Wow. That’s great! I’m glad he’s doing well. Tell him to visit us here lol. Wish he still threw. I rewatch his old videos regularly, as they have been a continuous source of inspiration for me.

What trick did you recreate? Video? I don’t have tiktok.

1 Like

this was the trick, it took me a million tries to land a decent one

12 Likes

That’s probably one of his easiest tricks besides follow. I deciphered and learned some of his really techy tricks a long time ago. Can’t remember any of them now though. :frowning:

1 Like

yah hes deff got a lot of techy stuff, im actually really bad at follow tbh

1 Like

In my experience, Follow is like looping: it’s all about timing and rhythm…and lots of practice to get the “feel”.

2 Likes

I don’t know who this is or anything bc I’m still learning history but this trick is sick! I like these origami(?) suicides!

2 Likes

Ignitus is important in the history of tech tricks. He’s perhaps not as well know known as other names, but deserves to be. He was sponsored by Buzz-on for a while.

This video is from 2003. It contains the first ever 5A grind (afaik). I remember finding the original thread for this video on the old yoyoing.com forums. Yuuki Spencer himself complemented him on his tricks. That is a Spintastics Tigershark he’s using.

I think this is also from later in 2003. All done on a Yoyojam Patriot.

Lots of good concepts in these. He had a few other videos, but I can’t find them on Youtube.

9 Likes

I AM SO GLAD TO KNOW HE’S STILL AROUND! Does he have an instagram?

3 Likes

not that i know of

1 Like

Bummer, anyways here’s the rest of his videos.

edit: Modified ignitus wrist combo to show my love.

8 Likes

Well no wonder I could’nt find his other videos: they’re all unlisted, which is weird and unfortunate. Anyone have a link to his “Thanks Takeshi” video (his debut of follow is in it)? I actually have the original files to his videos (except his Menehune video, which is probably lost forever).

@suspense I like your combo. It’s right up my alley.

1 Like

good thing i had it in my liked playlist

4 Likes

Yeah… I don’t know why his entire channel went to unlisted, he had a channel full of gold. Thankfully I had them saved in playlists.

Thank you :pray: I still need to learn your trick Guess.

3 Likes

Man that’s sucks about his channel. So many videos from back in the day have been lost.

I actually relearned Guess a while back. I somehow forgot how to do the ending to my own trick! I also was experimenting with more pinky ideas for a “Guess 2” trick, but nothing materialized. We need more pinky tricks.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think I might message him and ask him to put them all back to public because it’s pretty important yoyo history imo.

Agree on the pinky ideas, still tough for me to get the right amount of space to hit any pinky stuff consistently.

Takayasu had some pinky elements thrown into his worlds routine.

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten around to watching all the worlds freestyles yet. So thanks for the link!

Here’s an old Raytsh breakdown of an Ignitus wristmount trick for anyone interested.

4 Likes

This is part of why I like fiend X tricks so much. I hadn’t seen people using the pinky like that and I wonder why more tricks don’t use the pinky? Seems like it would help with variety in competitions and I would think more competitors would want that but I don’t know.

2 Likes

Yeah Mikhail is definitely the one who’s innovated the most with pinky tricks. He’s the first I remember seeing.

Pinky chopsticks type tricks are harder than regular chopsticks, so in theory they should score higher in competition. And for me at least it’s harder to come up with pinky stuff that flows well and looks nice.

2 Likes

pinky chopsticks is hard lol there is so much less room to adjust and maneuver hmmm imma work on it today hah

1 Like