Unannounced A-RT Bi-Metal Drop!

Some of these other small companies it’s not their day job. They have good jobs and their yoyo business is just something they do as a passion project.

4 Likes

couldnt you say that about ANY similar yoyo?
why buy this when you can buy this?

It’s preference.

Some of the younger throwers may not look at it like this but here is some of my take on a-rt.

I buy and support a-rt throws because I love them, they are all wonderful throws to me, and special… very special (coming from a Bape lover)
The man behind the company is one of my all time favorite throwers, and he is trying to run a business and live a stable life, maybe his throws are geared a bit more towards his fans, but I tell ya what, look in yoyo discussion threads on FB, and various other places, people LOVE his throws.
The ones who get over the price hump, or dont let something like that bother them, seem to really cherish a-rt throws.
Loyalty for companies comes in many forms.
For example,
I have a One Drop tattoo on my right hand, I love One Drop, I licensed their SE at one point, I will forever be grateful for that Company.
Do I walk around and state other yoyo’s are trash? or over priced? or their brand is trash? everythings made in china? etc. etc.
No, I don’t, but I also do not shove OD down peoples throats and tell them that they must play them and that their yada yada is similar to yada yada…

We all have likes and dislikes…
If you do not like it, don’t buy it.

9 Likes

Its because they source from one drop and then have to make a profit margin… the price is mostly for the name, which is not neccessarily a bad thing. People obviously buy them, so more power to them.

6 Likes

Thanks for letting us know. I was able to bag one. Since I copped a SS Banshee last week also, I’m gonna need to sell one or two nice pieces to compensate. But that just means there’ll be more happy forum fam!

15 Wing Wangs for shipping!
Melania Trump delivering this thing in person?

4 Likes

Ships from Canada.

4 Likes

The Wing-Wang to Canadian Dollar exchange rate is a killer. Thanks a lot Donald…

6 Likes

Nobody’s calling A-RT trash though. Saying something is overpriced isn’t exactly extremely harsh criticism.

And given that the people like myself who can’t justify the price point clearly aren’t the target audience and A-RT doesn’t need us to buy them I see no harm in people criticizing the prices.

I never was a fan of the “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” That’s probably more harmful than anything. How would anyone ever know people have an issue with something they’re doing if nobody ever mentions it to them?

8 Likes

In the realm of mature discourse, constructive criticism is always welcome, but being nasty or spiteful is just plain uncivilized. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I was wondering when they’d release a bi-metal. Seems a fair price too. I do love A-RT and their yoyos but I don’t think I’ll be picking this one up as I’ve got other priorities this month plus my quail is still en-route. Really interested to hear what people think of it though.

4 Likes

It appears that they were machined in Hong Kong.

The price seems consistent with other bimetal prices. I did think it a little strange that it was only $10 more than they charge for their monometals, but now it makes more sense.

Holding off on this one. I’m interested to hear what others have to say since I’m not typically a huge fan of bimetals.

4 Likes

I got a red one because I’m an A-RT fanboy through and through.

5 Likes

$137 actually doesn’t seem like a bad price for an A-RT throw as unique as this one, and this yoyo actually looks super cool. Not sure abut the weight tho. Seems like something that doesn’t align with A-RTs usual design ideals? It’s funny because i bet that weight comes from adding the ss rings while refusing to make a single change to the pure organic shape, which already holds a lot of that weight.

That being said, I would love to try one. I can’t deny it looks super cool. Finally something that looks like a Smashing Spectacle for a change.

8 Likes

I’m always confused as to how people can pass judgment on a yo-yo that they haven’t touched.
I thought organic strawberries where overpriced, until I tried some. And before I tried them I wouldn’t feel qualified to go on the berry forums criticizing Organic Strawberries if I hadn’t tried them yet. :strawberry:

…but I do think Doc Pop yo’s are overpriced…

8 Likes

i’m on your side

2 Likes

Because this isn’t a yo-yo that is doing something extraordinarily innovative or unique. It’s not a new shape or a new material. It functions like other modern yo-yos.

If three companies are selling bottled water sourced from the same location packaged in the same way, and two companies are selling it for around 2$ , I don’t need to try the third company’s water personally to know it’s not worth the 8$ they are charging.

4 Likes

The list of organic bi-metals is painfully short though, compared to bi-metals for all the other canonical shapes anyway. That tends to grab people’s attention.

4 Likes

One thing people tend to forget IMO is that various companies (or, more accurately, individuals since these tend to be 1-2 person operations) may or may not be in the same position to lower their asking price. Some people might need to try and recoup their investment more quickly depending on their personal savings/runway. Others might have had to do more prototypes prior to releasing, or maybe had issues with runs or ano that necessitated additional runs. Or maybe there’s a design choice that required more machine time or produced more b/trash grades (pretty sure this is what sunk the YYF D10). And lastly, some brands can just get away with selling at higher prices so why wouldn’t they try to maximize profit?

I’m not saying I would personally pay for it—I’m personally with @Durfee and have a hard time justifying price tags north of $70-100 these days. But I personally don’t see an issue with A-RT pricing this high if they can. I’m just not gonna be buying it and I’m just glad that Duncan and now YYF and other brands are putting out quality throws at cheaper prices.

6 Likes

Well to an extent, @Durfee is not wrong when he compares A-RT to BMW. They are both prestige brands, and while some folks might think that is a silly notion for something as frivolous as a skill toy, the yoyo marketplace has nevertheless quite successfully accommodated that product tier.

7 Likes

BTW, I am going to refer to this yoyo as the Nameless since Jensen refuses to give it an official name. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

I’m gonna go with the video included with the listing and call it the Splunkin. After all, Splunk is another very expensive solution to a common problem for which there are multiple solutions at varying price tiers. It all just fits so nicely.

That trick video is bonkers, btw. Loved it. I also love how well this surprise “stealth” drop became anything but stealthy so quickly. It has been a very exciting yoyo day.

7 Likes