TWO New Releases from ILYY - NOCTU and BLACK BELT!

NOCTU:

From ILYY: The iconic Noctu was our second yoyo, which we designed right after the E1NS. It has been over thirteen years, but it’s unique angled shape and cutting edge design still stands out among a sea of hand-pleasers.

Back in 2007 when we came close to finishing up the E1NS, we goofed around in CAD and created crazy ‘never-been-done’ shapes. At the time, we thought our yoyo making to be a one-time endeavor so we were designing more for fun than performance. One of these brainchilds was the Noctu. Right after we rendered the first 3D-model, we realized, there was something here. This was too special to be left in a mental drawer. It had to be brought to life.

When the E1NS nuked into the scene and obliterated our wildest expectations, we immediately decided to awaken the Noctu. This proved itself to be hard, very hard. The design was so bonkers (including the asymmetrical bearing seat), our machining shop struggled long and hard to get the first prototypes machined. In the end, they succeeded and we were in business.

Tossing these around, we quickly had a list of improvements collected and were ready for the next improved iteration. However, we soon learned the design still was very challenging to machine and thus went from iteration to iteration. The delays became so intense that we released more yoyos and new models in between the Noctu prototypes. In the end, we released 10 different batches and all had their quirks and changes.

We always wanted to return to the OG specs, the way we had initially intended Noctu to feel. That’s what we did with this new release, based on the smaller diameter and the traditional wider wings, the new Noctu is an ode to old school ILYY!

Releasing 2/5 @ 8PM EST.

BLACK BELT:

From ILYY: After some revamps and classic releases, we decided it was time for something new. However, we didn’t just want to drop a new “normal” yoyo, we wanted to make something special and weird. We present the Blackbelt – a super slimline full-size diameter bi-metal design!

The Blackbelt is machined from 7068 aluminum alloy with the same ceramic-touch finish as the Blackout Abyss that everybody loved so much. It’s large diameter paired with the thick steel belt offers impressive spintimes for such a slim design. The sub 30mm width gives it a unique challenging feel in play and awesome pocket-ability (you can leave your holsters at home with this one).

Even though Blackbelt is only 28mm wide, we were able to add a proper IRG for easy thumbgrinds and our classic ILYY hub for a beautiful sleek look. It is setup unresponsive out of the box and also includes a slim C-size bearing & shorter axle to accommodate for modern responsive play. The Blackbelt is THE perfect addition to our line-up and a unique piece for every throwers collection!

Releasing 2/5 @ 8PM EST.

10 Likes

Just a quick note on the Noctu color - It’s a beautiful sort of bronzy brownish color that seems to change hue depending on the lighting in each room I bring it in. In person it may not be identical to the photos, but I can assure you it looks reallllly nice!

8 Likes

If it’s the Noctu-Schokolade it really does look amazing in different light.

12 Likes

What does the Noctu play like? It’s a little guy, I can see that from the specs, but what is its weight distribution like?

2 Likes

Yeah it’s the same schockolade version we are releasing. Thanks for the additional photos, shows just how shifty that color can be in different lighting!

2 Likes

Only threw it for a few minutes today when taking photos, but here’s my thoughts - It has more of a dense feel than the current lightweight trend, but not overly heavy in play. Lends nicely to faster play, stays on plane easily through longer tricks, and has good power for a mono-metal. You definitely don’t want to bind on a really hard throw… And give it a light test throw on wonky binds, but other than that it’s two thumbs up from me.

8 Likes

Have heard that the Noctu hurts on a bad catch - the sharper corners…is this yoyo not for the feint-of-heart? Kind of interested in this unusual shape :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I absolutely love the Blackbelt. Not only is it extremely stable and powerful, but surprisingly enough, it can also handle a variety of horizontal combos with relative ease.

A while back, when I first received mine, I decided to use it exclusively for precisely one month to see if and how it would affect the way I play. Admittedly, I found it a bit strange to jump back to a “normal” size yo-yo once those thirty days finally passed, at least for the first half hour or so. But the more I played, the more I realized how much I improved. My accuracy improved, slack tricks were easier to hit, and horizontal tricks, especially with wider throws like the Veritas, became almost effortless.

I highly recommend this one. It may surprise you just as much as it did me.

8 Likes

You will know exactly how the weight is distributed when the edges smack you across the back of your knuckles on a cold morning.

All the weight is exactly behind those edges…

:wink:

5 Likes

Sounds like a yoyo fit to be a weapon!

2 Likes

The Noctu feels great despite the threatening appearance. I don’t think I really notice the sharp rims but that’s not to say they won’t hurt hitting a something unexpectedly!

The Black belt is an awesome yoyo, THE best unresponsive slimline around. Great to carry around with you as it just slips into your pocket nicely. It’s probably my favorite bimetal too.

Both great yoyos, but the Black belt is my favorite of the two.

6 Likes

Noctu is such a classic. Takes me back to the old school days when companies like ILYY were trying all sorts of new designs and everything hadn’t become so standardized. Lovely yoyo that feels surprisingly good in the hand and nice and dense on the throw, powerful for sure.

5 Likes

Same.

Only thing missing is Candy Blast!

For some reason I always say Candy Blast in my head like Sandler says DisneyLand in this old classic…

2 Likes

Curious about the Noctu, pulled the trigger on it after completely forgetting it dropping today…an early birthday present to myself :slight_smile:

Definitely going to throw with caution to get a feel for the throw before I go too crazy with it…at least let its spin die down before I bind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, these went faster than expected. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Enjoy, friends!

Don’t worry too much about the more aggressive shape. It’s not really different from organic throws on binds. If you get hit because of a snag, you’re in for trouble on basically any yoyo (granted, in the worst case secnario the Noctu will end you for good).

The Noctu in its OG specs has some center weight that is unlike modern designs. It gives the yoyo a more solid and dense feel. It’s part of Noctu’s character, but there’s plenty of mass placed on the rims to give you all the power you need to nail your combos.

6 Likes

I missed the Noctu drop lol, I actually missed it! Oh well…

Designed in Germany; made in China. Really?
I thought ILYY yo-yos were always manufactured in Germany. When did that change? Just asking out of curiosity.

3 Likes

Didn’t even notice… seems to be the norm nowadays… sadly…

It changed since German machining shops charge more than we are willing to pay for. I don‘t see anyone gladly paying 200€ for an AL that performs inferior to a China-made yo-yo for 70USD.

When we were producing in Germany, we had a lot of scrap and had to go through countless prototypes to get the outcome we needed. You may not forget: most machining shops work for large industries and make thousands of pieces per order. A small customer that needs 100 halves is not profitable for those shops.

There are Chinese shops that know exactly what they‘re doing, how yoyos should perform. And even do the anodization which is perfectly dialed in for their dimensions.

You can talk about work ethics and economy, yes. But quality wise, the Chinese are top notch.

11 Likes

Would you ever do USA machined throws?