Turntable 2?

Has anyone here used a yyf turntable 2? $80 with a bottle of dark matter lube looks tempting. How does it play? Any other suggestions for a first bimetal in its price range? Thanks

4 Likes

I love mine but not sure if I’d recommend it as your first bimetal in that price range. It doesn’t play like your standard bimetal. IMO it plays heavier and less rim-weighted. Definitely not your typical competition bimetal. These are all draws for me but if you want The Bimetal Experience ™ you might want to go with something more like the Singularity.

3 Likes

So after some thought I’ve decided to remove the TT2 from my 2 buy list. I want a Bi-Metal that has as much “Bi-Metal qualities” as possible, so my options are: Duncan Grasshopper GTX, iYoyo FiRROX 7075, YYF Boost, & YYF Singularity. I’d appreciate as much speed capability as possible. Thanks again!

2 Likes

I’m in for singularity. Traditional bimetal experience. Looks and plays amazing

5 Likes

Based on speed Singularity would definitely be a really solid choice. Has more of a Japanese approach in terms of design aesthetic which means competition drive and speed, etc. You would really dig it!

2 Likes

Singularity seems like a great choice, although I kind of have the distant feeling that it’s biting off the draupnir, is it?

You’ll find that’s true for a lot of competition bimetals (though that’s slowly changing nowadays esp after the Edge). The Draupnir defined what’s now known as “traditional competition bimetal” design, esp when it comes to speed. So YoYoFriends Hummingbird, SF Bliss, CLYW Wildfire, 2Sick Promotion etc all share DNA from the Draupnir though they innovate on it with modifying shape, weight distribution, thickness of rims, etc.

If you want something that’s not the archetypal Draupnir style, check out the Edge. I don’t know if it’d be able to move quite as speedily as the Singularity—that Draupnir style is sticking around for a reason—but Evan Nagao shreds with it.

Firrox 7075 is great.

1 Like

Definitely am still considering the Singularity, but my most compelling second option is the Grasshopper GTX. The rims which protrude from the aluminum body is a really appealing design choice, & I heard that it’s predecessor was also great. The only downside is I don’t know if can handle speed like the Singularity can.

1 Like