Tungsten or Osmium rimmed yoyo?

I know that a Tungsten rimmed throw has been done before.

Osmium is WAY too expensive.

Compare 1 troy ounce (~31g) of pure silver at $17.95

With 1 troy ounch of Osmium (which is like, just over a centimeter cubed of the stuff) at $939.00.

Putting aside the fact that I don’t have any idea of how (or even if) Osmium can be machined, once you’ve taken into account the amount needed and labour costs and what not, you’d end up with like a $20,000 yoyo or something.  :stuck_out_tongue:

It would mean one heck of a project. Does platinum cost less? What about tungsten?

^^^Tungsten would NOT be good for use on a yo-yo. One thing about Tungsten that a lot of people get confused about is strength verses hardness. Tungsten is hard, but not strong. It is so hard that it’s only able to be scratched by a diamond or another piece of tungsten. Strength is tungsten’s weak side…if it gets dropped or hit, it can chip or shatter into pieces…Imagine your yo-yo being made from tungsten when you have one of those unexpected ground smacks!

I meant tungsten weight rings.

It would have to be a relatively small throw, as tungsten is very dense. The yoyo it was used in has a 41 mm diameter.

Wouldn’t matter…If it’s attached to the yoyo - when it hits ground they will transform from weight rings into shattered weight pieces!
Once again…Tungsten is hard - but weak.

Yea, tungsten is just SOOooo brittle. This must be that little onementioned before me

I love how that article says “when the child was born it was a baby…”

;D

But that just wasn’t the case with Rosemary! :smiley:

1 Like

What about platinum?

Pretty much the same price as Osmium, so not a feasable option.

For the most part, the denser a metal is, the more expensive it is. I think the reason why so many bi-metals use steel weights rings is because steel hits a pretty good balance between price, weight and machineability. Sturm Panzer use brass which is a bit denser than steel, hence why they can push the weight distribution a little further, but I am to understand it’s not quite as easy to work with as steel.

Either way, Sengoku is no doubt going to come in here and post “We’re currently working on a Platnium/Osmium bimetal right now guys!” :wink:

We also know that the guys at Onedrop have been working on their 2 bimetal models for quite a while now, and they’ve alluded to the fact they’re trying to do something special with them, which makes me wonder if we can expect something a little bit different from the norm… #hype #rumoursabound

From my understanding, but my understanding may be completely wrong and open to correction, but I remember reading somewhere that onedrop ended up shelving their Bimetal idea.

WHAA?! Oh man! Hype hotness!

Noooooo! I cant take these High Highs and immediate Low Lows! I gotta get off this roller coaster thats toying with my emotions. Im gonna go play outside now.

Where?

I asked Paul about it at PNWR and he said it’s still in the making, but isn’t really the main thing they’re working on right now. I may be remembering incorrectly, so take this next statement with a grain of salt, but I remember him saying that they are aiming for releasing at least one of them in 2016.

Yes, we are still working on our BiMetals and no, we’ve not shelved them. Our desire to bring something that’s smooth, unique, and reliable has sent us back to the design/proto cycle a few times. We don’t want to just release something for the sake of releasing it. We’ll release them when they are truly ready. There are so many Bi-metals to choose from right now and many of them are very affordable. It’s a great time to be a thrower.

2 Likes

Tungsten works fine IF you use it in alloy form… I believe the Dert yoyos used a copper tungsten alloy… it’s far more machinable and less brittle. For a mini it’s fantastic… I have an Eli Dert here on my desk, one of the best mini yo-yos ever.

Kyle

Seems to me that everyone and his brother has released a bi-metal yo-yo while you have been developing yours. Is this proving to be a challenge for the “master machinists” at OneDrop?

The machinists in China do not seem to have any problems churning out high-quality bi-metal yo-yo’s that are smooth and selling-out in the marketplace in droves.

We get LOTS of, splashed, Blizzard-Berry-Swizzle-Snowflake-Fractal-Stain Organic-shaped yo-yo’s for sure. At what point does the lack of a OneDrop bi-metal model begin to be embarrassing?

1 Like

gold. make them rims blinged and dinged. gold is soft.