Trying Full white ceramic bearings for responsive Arrow Yo-yo R188 3.175mm (narrow C)

I’m throwing for aboute 3 weeks on full white ceramic bearings just found on a website.
R188 3.175mm (narrow C)

Seems like butter, less noisy , less maintenance , more spinning time .

Any one tried these ?

Regards
Lee

PS:
They also have the unresponsive bearing size ( R188 4.763mm)

2 Likes

4.15 Swiss Franc equals

4.72 United States Dollar

seems like a great deal.

1 Like

I tried this and it works well.
I have no terms of comparison though, as it’s the first and only ceramic I’ve ever owned :grimacing:

I read ceramic bearing have tendency to be loud, hopefully I’m not jinxing it, but at the moment this is reasonably quiet

2 Likes

I have tried multiple different bearings over the years, including ceramics like these.
Assuming the bearing is clean and can spin freely, the spin time difference negligible. At best the expensive ones will feel smoother, but that’s it. Also when you do tricks, the string will rub the yoyo body and make way more friction than anything you could ever hoped to lose with a better bearing.

Better technique > better bearing. When you have good technique and can lay the string in a way that rubs the yoyo less, it will spin way longer than you first thought it could. This comes from (a lot of) practice.

That applies for unresponsive bearings.

For responsive bearings where you have to put thick viscosity lube, there is practically zero difference because the lube will act as a brake anyway. It has to, otherwise it will become unresponsive.

5 Likes

100℅ true but i would happily pay 5 bucks to get that silky smooth spin and less noise, its just satisfying.

1 Like

I see that you ordered a “UR188KK” version of the simple R188 .

What is the difference ?

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

You could get these 3-4 usd ceramic bearings , these Chinese websites deliver all around the world for almost Free Shipping, or 1-2 usd, in 2-3 weeks.

But, it’s an another world ordering on Chinese websites , you just have to know all pros and cons, and I’m not here to promote them, I’m just posting this for experience & research/testing.

If you are ok with what you have ,
stick to traditional U.S. yo-yo websites like yo-yo expert, because they have the best material 100% top quality and 100% top security and 100% SAV.

Kind Regards
Lee

No idea, just went for what it seemed to fit :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for your swift reply.

I’d love to have one day when you have time close picture of that bearing you received, all sides if possible .
I’ll do the same top close for my ceramic bearings.

KK = Concave ?

2 Likes

Unfortunately for those of us who make use of the narrow C bearings, they are just hard to find anywhere, period. Most places are out of stock and a search for them yields very few results. At this price (as long as international shipping isn’t too expensive) it seems it would be worth getting a few simply for the fact that they are now among the few places where narrow C’s of any kind can be found.

2 Likes

I live in New Zealand so ali express usually has faster shipping that US websites :rofl:
There are a small amount of shady stores on ali express but they are usually easy to spot.

Im wanting to try full ceramic size A :thinking:

2 Likes

Hi again,

I’m not specialized in bearing sizes , but just googeling what size is type A yo-yo Bearing it shows 5 x 10 x 4mm.
Then when typing this size it does not give much results, but Google shows it’s code number in the bearing industry which is MR105 or SMR105.

Then when typing MR105 ceramic there is plenty choice and even hybrid ceramic , at very low prices ,around 5 USD,
plus if you have Free delivery in your country , you are very lucky !

(My size for my Arrow yo-yo, is the responsive Narrow C which is in
size 6.35 × 12.7 × 3.175mm,
and it’s code in the bearing industry is R188-3,175.
There are very hard to find…and very few choices …)

Have fun !

Regards
Lee

PS.:
I do not want to promote, especially on a selling website forum to get stuff on Chinese websites, plus if you don’t know « everything » you can get bad surprises and health issues, because in these countries they have very low concerns in regards to security , like people buying phone batteries on it that later ignite or even explodes.
So for bearings , who knows what toxic material or toxic oils were used ….

So again, for me it’s just for experience purpose , I like research.
If you need something 100% adapted to your yo-yo, and 100% safe, stick to official U.S. yo-yo websites like yo-yo expert.

Kind Regards
Lee

2 Likes

Using the metric measurements provided earlier directed me to an Ali Express dealer who has 10 packs of metal narrow C bearings for a very reasonable price. He has a selection of ABEC 1, 3, and 5 and 2 selections of bearing type though I’ve not been able to figure out what the difference in them is. But the most expensive 10 pack is only $15 with free shipping. ABEC 5 should be some pretty good bearings. Nice and smooth and long spinning. The picture shows 10 ball type. Maybe that’s the difference in the 2 types available. I’m not sure though. With the price of the most expensive being only $15 for 10 I’ll be getting some myself.

1 Like

Hi,

ABEC is an international rating for bearings
ABEC1 the lowest and ABEC7 the best.

ABEC7 for example is used in machines that dentist use to do stuff on your teeth.
It is very low noise, highest rpm speeds, no vibrations, etc…

(Just bear in mind that what they promote on ABEC might not be respected, that is typically happening on these Chinese websites.)

Kind Regards
Lee

1 Like