try to design a yoyo, updated.

Delrin isn’t really much cheaper than aluminum, by that I mean a dollar or two per foot. Aluminum may also wear down your tool bits slightly faster but not by a whole lot. You are still going to pay a ton for prototyping due to the time to set up the machine.

1 Like

I found out there is tons of CAD programs that are free.
I just downloaded a program and Im learning how to make objects on it :smiley:

My dad’s friend owns a precision machine parts shop and he got me a copy of the software and i designed a proto of a yoyo. He is currently in the process of making the first proto and it should have been done by now but one of his machines broke down and he has gotten a little backed up. I used SolidWorks2010. Also, the wall thickness looks a LITTLE thin, not too bad, and the rim weight seems a LITTLE light, but if it’s a decent sized yoyo it could work. but the bearing seat could use a little bit of work, I would recommend looking at a metal yoyo you have and trying to copy that seat. good luck :smiley: it’s really fun making them

Thanks for clearing that up… how much do you think it would cost?

I’m in engineering program at school (only one in California high schools) and I use autoCAD and inventor a lot and bet I could CNC, 3D print you a plastic, or even lethe you one! This is something I’ve been wanting to do forever!

Cover the step thingy inside the rim like yyj did with the meteor

Now, it really does looks like a Severe… lol…

really you can lathe this one?
i really want to, but cal is like half way around the world… :cry:

you mean cap?
got some idea of doing it also.
:-\

;D
it maybe close to bell shape that severe got.

I doubt I could get the rims, but the shape would be simlpe.

really?
do you think i would need to simplify the steped profile on the inner rims?
i do found out that complex shape are harder to cut, take more time to set up the machine, and rise the cost.

For a CNC cut? It’s free for me I just can’t sell what I make legally…

now i realize i made such a mistake.
i realize that i measure the bearing wrong, so the bearing seat is also wrong.

now i think i get this right.
please correct me if I’m wrong, the C-size bearing measurement is ; 0.250 in x 0.500 in x 0.187 in.
so converted to metric it would be ; 6.5300 mm x 12.700 mm x 4.7625 mm

so i remade the bearing seat and post.

and another design if anybody interested.

and now some will say that it look like yoyorecreation.
lol. :smiley:

i see a thread about you want to make a yoyo too.
are you using CNC machine?
can i make the design for you? that you stated in the thread that you like rounded yoyo. ;D ;D

Kristiawan, you are going to have string slippage issues with that bearing seat. The place where the bearing sits is flush with the face of the yo-yo in your design. That is way to big of a gap first off and secondly it may cause the string to slip.

Your math is also wrong for converting inches to millimeters. .250x.500x.187 in would be 6.35x12.7x4.7498mm.

1 Like

thanks mrcnja, you give me big help.
well, my former measurement was right.
i was kinda find this conversion table that happen to be wrong.
what a source, and I’m such a noob. lol.

about the slippage, i kinda raised the wall between response groove and bearing seat a little bit, i thought that would help with the slippage because the string wont easily slide to the seats.
am i wrong about this?
or should i make the wall little higher?
also, I’m a fan of big gapped yoyo, such as the genesis. at first, i want the gap to be 5 mm or more, but ichtus tell me that it wont be stable, and 4.7 is the max. so i leave it be.

ahh, so much repair to be done…
:-\

Ok first off I myself can’t CNC yet, I would have to have my brother do it. CNC is not as easy as like 3D print with Inventor and AutoCAD. You have to program it. Pain in the rear. I would lathe it.

i like you say it “yet”. one day you can be a master on this. ;D

as the bearing seat, am i make it right this time?

Not sure about the bearing, but I really like to see you taking such an interest in this. Are you gonna do something along these lines when you’re older> 'Cause your doing great now!

1 Like

I say yet because I am in the first of 5 engineering courses I will learn CNC either next or the year after.

thanks Q. :smiley:
well, maybe, and maybe not.
i am a pharmacist, and i had finish my study.
I’m doing this because i really like to yoyo, and want to understand how this tool become so magnificent.
i want to make yoyo.

that is great IMO, having such person in to yoyoing.
so if i make another design i can ask you to machine it.
;D

I will see what I can do.