Trick progression

I, like @GTDropKnot, chose to use a slim yo-yo as a training tool to increase accuracy. But the nice thing about having a more forgiving yo-yo while learning is that because it’s easier to catch it helps you to home in on that muscle movement needed to get it in the ballpark. Then pull out the slim to narrow it down….:cricket::cricket::cricket:

3 Likes

I was just recently trying to land Double or Nothing for the first time. I’ve gotten pretty good at it now and it feels very nice to land. One thing that I feel helped me to stick the landing more regularly is to pull back slightly with my throw hand right before the yo-yo was going to land. This drew the yo-yo slightly closer to my non throw finger and sort of pulled it into the pocket. Now it sort of just happens and I’m landing it very regularly on my Deep State which is my trainer.

2 Likes

I’ll back what a few people kind of said already, which is that you don’t need to try to learn any specific combos at this point. Just learn the tricks and mounts that you find appropriate for your level. When you finish a trick and still have decent spin time, you can try another trick that starts from where you ended up, or you could use some element that you know to get to a different position to try a trick you have in mind. The more tricks and mounts you learn, the more you’ll be naturally be comfortable moving between a few tricks/elements before you bind.

Keep in mind this is coming from a person that is still pretty low level. I don’t know a lot of tricks yet and I’ve never tried to learn a specific combo, but I do naturally tend to put some tricks/elements that I know together because I can do some things well enough to not kill the spin after a trick or two. So I just end up naturally doing what would be considered very simple/basic/pathetic combos.

Funny enough, my failure to learn the last part of one trick led me to using the first few parts in simple combos since stopping before the part I haven’t mastered leaves me in a good position to do other tricks that I am comfortable doing. And now even if/when I master the last part, I’m sure I will continue to use the first few elements in combos and not always complete the trick.

My favorite overall string so far is YYSL Type X. Not super thick or super thin, it’s soft, and holds tension pretty well. And a bonus that it comes in a lot of really interesting colors.

I have to adjust tension very often no matter what string I use.

3 Likes

That’s my strategy start easy with a wide yoyo then work it into to the point your landing it on a slim throw relatively easily.

2 Likes

It is definitely nice to have a forgiving yoyo for learning tricks on. I like to learn on something forgiving and then refine on something less forgiving.

Here is a super short video where I was trying to demonstrate how you can pull your hands apart to help land DoN. When you add the pull apart motion, it feels much harder to miss landing into the mount.

3 Likes

Exactly!!

1 Like

Going off of this, I think it’s useful to practice tricks like Eli Hops and Boingy Boing because they teach you how to control the yoyo in different ways by bringing your hands apart/closer together or moving them up and down to create lateral motion. It may feel unnatural at first but getting comfortable with doing odd movements helped me progress more in other ways.

2 Likes