Trick List

What would be a good set of tricks to have with an unresponsive at around the 2 month mark of practice. Just to compare my own progression to give me motivation to keep going. Thank You.

The amount of time that has elapsed isnā€™t the deciding factor, itā€™s how much practice you fit into that time. If you only practiced for 1 hour a month then in 2 months time you could not even have learned to double-or-nothing properly. For someone with a full time job and family, 2 months worth of practice might mean Matrix and Kwijibo, whereas if you stuck someone in solitary confinement with nothing but a yoyo for 2 months, theyā€™d probably know Jensen Kimmit Sandwich and Soiled Panties. :stuck_out_tongue:

So in other words, there is no ā€œyou should be this good in this amount of timeā€ measuring stick. Itā€™s all down to the individual and how much they practice. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Gambit is 100% correct. It all depends on you. I started learning by going through YYE tutorials. Just do those and keep progressing at your own speed.

Technically, I have been yoyoing since I was in High School, but with all the stops and starts, I canā€™t even skin a gerbil yetā€¦

Iā€™ve been throwing for a little over 2 months nowā€¦ the last month or so Iā€™ve been hitting it pretty hard (well not too hard - I do have a full-time job in corp America, and three little kids ; )
The last handful of tricks Iā€™ve picked up are Skin the Gerbil, Matrix, Cold Fusion, McBrideā€™s Roller Coaster, Eli Hops, etcā€¦ and I have been struggling to try and get consistent with Magic Drop. (And I do mean struggling ! )
Iā€™ve seen people mention Kwijibo a bunch lately - I think that will be next on my listā€¦ and at some point in the near future, Iā€™d really like to learn Candy Rain. (Can anyone recommend other prerequisite tricks to learn first to make learning this one easier?)

Certainly everyoneā€™s different in how quickly they learn, how often they throw, and what generally comes easy versus what doesnā€™t. I have a deep attention span, and tend to jump into new interests pretty heavily, but my ambition with yoyo is simply to have funā€¦ so if I ever find myself getting frustrated while trying to learn a trick, then I know itā€™s time to put it down for a while.

What throws are you guys using?
I think mine might be holding me back.
That and a serious lack of skill :slight_smile:

I have 3 nowā€¦ started with the Chico Bulldog 225 - that choice was driven by the fact that I was in Chico, CA, talking with the guy who designed it. Which was a big part of what sparked my interest in this hobby to begin with.
After getting more into it over the next month or so, based on recommendations in this forum, I picked up a Yoyo Empire RainFly (a bi-metal), which definitely helped me with learning more complicated tricks.
Just last week I got a Werrd Irony JPX (7075), which is even more stable than the RainFly. I absolutely love this yoyoā€¦ amazing quality, and itā€™s just a pleasure to throw.

To be fair, a better throw will certainly help facilitate learning tricks somewhat, but probably not enough to say that what youā€™re using now is ā€œholding you backā€. A great player can likely do the hardest tricks with almost any decent yoyo, and a beginner is a beginner no matter how amazing the yoyo isā€¦ for those of us in between, a great yoyo helps a little, but thereā€™s no substitute for putting in the time to learn and practice.

Yeah, youā€™re right.
Iā€™m just hoping that I can learn a little faster with a longer sleeping/more stable yoyo.
Also, I think itā€™s about time I bit the bullet and went unresponsive.

Having the trick Rewind somewhat mastered helped me immensely when I was learning Candy Rain!

/first post

Thanks - good suggestion!

A good long-sleeping unresponsive will certainly help a bit

Iā€™ve been throwing for about 3 months and I use the trick ladder as my progress indicator. Iā€™m up to Kwijibo and Iā€™ve just started learning the wrist mount so I can star learning spirit bomb. Some tricks, like the hook, are so tough that I just set those aside until later and thatā€™s OK. The goal is to have fun. Actually doing the trick ladder at a competition can come much later.

Youā€™re doing great. Just have fun.

I donā€™t even know half the YYE tutorial tricks and I would consider myself fairly advanced. I know grandma kimmitt sandwich and a whole bunch of other hard tricks. I wouldnā€™t go by the tutorials as a measuring stick, just have fun and learn what you like.

Although the yoyo does not make the player (I can land every trick that I know on my speedaholic), when I went to my first metal (a shutter) I found that I was able to get many more tries per throw on tricks that I had yet to perfect. The stability definitely helped me learn tricks more quickly and prevented some practice sessions from becoming frustrating.

Ive been yoyoing for about 5 months but it feels like WAY more because I practice up to 4 hours a day. The time when I stopped learning the generic tricks was when I mastered Candy Rain

Ok one more thing is Grandma Kimmit Sandwich is one of my favorite tricks ;D

Me too. Itā€™s probably top 10

Iā€™d be curious to see an advanced yoyoer rate a bunch of the common ladder tricks from 1-10 in terms of difficulty. It would be interesting to get a sense of where some of the ones I see mentioned a lot fall within the continuumā€¦ for example, if Brain Twister were a ā€˜1.5ā€™ and Ladder Escape were a ā€˜9.5ā€™ ā€¦ where would Candy Rain fall? Or Spirit Bomb? Etcā€¦

Spirit bomb - 20/10 2hard4me

Iā€™m using the surge. I wonder if the same for mine. I plan to buy a speedahollic soon though.
And thank you everyone for all the tips, and information. I definitely feel like Iā€™m still In the beginning stage of yoyoing. I can most tricks on the first 2 yye tutorial levels. I definitely like the creativity that yoyo comes with by just having fun with it. Iā€™ll take everyoneā€™s advice and try not to worry so much about how good I am. Or should be at this stage. Iā€™ll just go with the flow.