Trick Execution

I was thinking about something the other day. When I’m looking at a someone’s trick video, no matter how much I try not to, I subconsciously form impressions on how skilled they are from the first throw, and continue to throughout the video.

It seems that subtle differences in execution make a BIG difference in whether you look like a beginner or not.

For example here’s a simple combo:

There really wasn’t anything ‘wrong’ with how I did it, but the way I threw it and the amount I moved my body and arms just made it look like what I was doing was on the edge of my skill level.

Compare that to this:

Now of course that was a little faster, but not that much. More importantantly everything from the throw to moving the hands only as much as is needed for each trick seemed to make it look like I had more of an idea of what I was doing (in my opinion).

I see people in the community that I know have been throwing for YEARS, and have some cool tricks to show for it, but whenever I see videos of even just their breakaway, it looks like they’ve been practicing a couple months. I know everyone has their own style and everything, but it seems like anyone’s own style could be improved by taking some time to focus on execution.

I am also fully aware that there are many people (especially on this forum) that throw for their own satisfaction and don’t really care how beginner they look or not. But I bet even those people would find it very fulfilling for their tricks to start looking like the second video instead of the first. I can sure tell you which was more fun to film.

Just something to think about.

12 Likes

Ehhh this is kinda subjective, faster doesn’t necessarily mean “better”?
Not here to argue or discuss something I find so menial but I think somewhere between the two videos is :mechanical_arm:

I prefer rhythm and flow to outright speed, but I’m sure there are others who prefer the latter more than the prior

5 Likes

I’d say this is is really subjective

3 Likes

You’re certainly right. But what I mentioned was moving the hands/arms minimally. I addressed that speed was not mainly what I was talking about

2 Likes

Of course it’s subjective. There is very little about yoyoing that isn’t :smiley:

2 Likes

I still get what you say. On the first clip it looks forced and a bit sloppy, while on the second the movements are more clean and there is no time between elements.

1 Like

I also form opinions early in the video. Mine is not based on speed, but timing. If the person is smooth and throws without gaps then I get a much better impression of their talent. It’s all about the flow for me.

3 Likes

Same! As I said, speed is not the most important at all.

1 Like

I’d say this is completely true. This is the reason why Markmont’s, Takeshi’s and Ando’s yoyoing looks so different form anybody else’s, even if they’re doing simple stuff.

I’d also say that the second clip wasn’t much different from the first one. You threw a completely different breakaway and bind compared to the first video. Taking those out of the equation, the brent stole, kamikaze whip and dismount, and hook were executed in the exact same fashion as the first clip, just done faster. At least from what I can perceive.

8 Likes

They were similar for sure. But doing a one motion whip into/dismount from a Brent stole is pretty different. The dismount from the kamikaze is sharper/cleaner as well.

1 Like

I feel like the title of this topic needs some editing for clarity … perhaps you mean “moving your hands smoothly and intentionally, so each trick flows into the other naturally and looks effortless?” :thinking:

This does actually make sense to me, it’s more of an aesthetics thing but I know what you mean. For example. I once tried autocross with a friend of mine who was really into autocross. I was, predictably, terrible at it. :confused:

But! As I watched the other drivers as I waited for my next (awful) turn on the course, I noticed those drivers who delivered the best, fastest times on the course felt like they weren’t going fast at all because there was minimal tire squealing and skidding – those drivers knew exactly how much to push the vehicle, how to flow the vehicle smoothly into each turn and set up a good position for the next turn. It’s hard to describe, exactly, but I think this is what you’re talking about for yo-yo performances and I agree with it!

5 Likes

It warms my heart to see my other hobbies mentioned here :smiley:

1 Like

Yes. Sometimes I see videos of tricks or combos or whatever and it is all done so extremely fast that it is over before I can grasp or appreciate all of the elements involved. I am totally impressed by the skill and talent and time that went into it but personally I prefer slower. I am not referring to these two videos. Both are fantastic.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good example!

2 Likes

I guess what I’m talking about is that many people overlook practicing to make their tricks look good.

If your breakaway looks like the first video, why not actively work on it to try and make it look better? Even if you’re a beginner. Same with other tricks.

Making your tricks look like they’re easy for you is a separate skill to practice, and one that’s often overlooked.

3 Likes

I believe that incorporating body movements to a trick is essential to making a trick look good. I value the choreography aspect of yo-yoing and I want to display energy and passion in all my tricks

2 Likes