Trick-a-Week 2024—#37 Dimension Ghost

I’ve been meaning to learn this for a while, but I really am enjoying the advanced variation.

13 Likes

Any lifehacks for mounting it on your thumb? Thats the biggest consistency killer for me atm, hitting both strings or missing them completely on the outside.

6 Likes

Yeah I use both middle and index and that helps create more separation so you don’t land on both. You and even use three fingers to get more separation if you want like the mechanics of the trick are the same either way. Missing to the outside is a little trickier and think the best bet there is to focus on really getting the string close to the tip of your thumb. Trick looked very good and smooth tho so nice work yo

6 Likes

Tyvm for the props and hints, i will spend some more time with. I love how the trick feels once you get it going! Kinda feels like the trick is doing itself. Very nice taw :fire:

4 Likes

Week 29–Grind Through a Triangle

This week we are going to the expert, @AndreBoulay , with his tutorial for how to grind through a triangle! The trick is super fun and satisfying and is just a cool trick. I also like that there is some built in flexibility with a couple of the different elements, like if this seems a bit too difficult right now for anyone, no problem! Y’all can break down the trick into different parts and learn what of it seems fun. The trick starts with a wrist mount and this could be a good time to explore some different wrist mount entries.

Here’s prolly too many for y’all to check out but there’s a lot of cool ways to get into a wrist mount and I couldn’t decide hah! Feel free to share any others y’all are fond of also!

YYE slacky flowy to wrist mount
YYE quicker whip to wrist mount
@MaximShoots 's Unnecessarily Complex Wrist Mount Entry
Recess Tut for 3 Expert level classics
10 entries easy to hard from rewind
Laceration style whip to wrist mount

This trick also has a grinding element so here’s a tutorial for Grinding 101 and also a tutorial for the Throw Hand Grind specifically. Y’all can just focus on the grind if you want also like grinds are cool.

This week can be as much or as little as y’all want! Choose your own adventure! Hah! Please ask any questions y’all have and have fun! Good Luck!

17 Likes

Awesome, lots for me to try this week. I have been wanting to learn grinds since they kept happening by accident while practicing the chopsticks mount this past week.

4 Likes

This is awesome thanks! Last week is my first foray into chopsticks and man I have a new respect for it haha

5 Likes

It’s been a minute since I’ve done a TaW, thanks for keepin this thread alive everybody :saluting_face:

15 Likes

This is my first trick a week. I think I got it but I definitely need to work on smoothness

14 Likes

I mean… that looked pretty darn smooth to me!!

3 Likes

Niiiice!!! I looooove to see the xdivs here! Let’s go!!! Hah!

I thought it looked good but I know everyone has different preferences for how smooth they like to get tricks. I’m way more of the type to learn a bunch of different things and pick a few of my favs to get really smooth. My point is, neither you or anyone else should feel obligated to get the tricks super duper smooth. If ppl really like something and want to, that’s amazing! Trick a week is a lot about just seeing a variety of different stuff and maybe trying some stuff people might not have tried otherwise. Glad you decided to give it a go!

6 Likes

I went with a slacky wrist mount entrance from Tsukasa Namba’s 2023 POV vid that has been on my list of stuff to learn forever. Also threw in a spirit bomb bc getting into that end mount with the extra wrap is a little hack to keep that triangle big and open. Still will leave you with no knots after you go through, just like how spirit bomb does!

8 Likes

I’m my own worst critic haha

3 Likes
11 Likes

I like doing this inverted version of it!

7 Likes

Week 30—Mir Kim Meta Combo

We are going to celebrate the World Yoyo Contest kicking off next week with a sweet and fun combo by the current world champion of the 1A division! This trick is a bit more difficult than what I typically aim for with trick-a-week, but I encourage everyone to give it a try anyways and see what you can’t pick up! The combo is also (kind of) constructed so the elements start easier and get harder, so just start at the beginning. The very first element is like a ninja vanish but you keep the whip in front of the string instead of whipping behind. If you’re totally lost with this trick, I recommend looking up a tutorial for ninja vanish and trying to learn that!

I would also like to give a shoutout to @yoyothomas ! Thanks for making the tut yo! I hope you have a lot of fun and crush all your tricks with next week! (Thomas is also competing at the WYYC!)

As always, please ask any questions at all that come up! Have fun and good luck!

16 Likes

Here’s the trick! My string is a bit too long hah.

11 Likes

Hey @mable!!!

IMG_3258

1 Like

Love it! Thanks @GTDropKnot love when we get some tough ones!!!

2 Likes

This coming week I’m giving this one a good go. I love the look of it. Even it I can only get the first part to the point of being able to repeat it I’ll be happy. Thanks @yoyothomas for the nice tutorial.

5 Likes