Trick-a-Week 2024—#37 Dimension Ghost

The first whip where it goes “over and under” the throw hand is giving me more trouble than a trick has in a long time!

If anyone has any tips it greatly appreciated

2 Likes

Same here.

2 Likes

I can do it independently. But I can’t seem to get the “tension” right. Just doesn’t want to go over the TH

1 Like

Any chance we can make this next week’s trick? Or perhaps some kind person can help me out. I am plucking the th slipknot finger but am forming a GT instead of the tower when told to slide off the string off nth index. Here’s the trick. Thanks.

Do you mean the very first whip in the trick? Just want to be sure because you wrote throwhand and that element is a whip with non throw hand. I can make a vid and try to explain it but I just wanna make sure we are talking about the same element.

I think you probably mean the element after the cross arm tension hook because that is the only part where the string goes over throw hand but I’m not exactly sure still. A time code would help so we’re on the same page

@GTDropKnot apologies should have put it at the start. 2:11 in the video

1 Like

Same for me. The normal whip without popping up from the mount is way easier!
I think its a timing based thing and you have to give it a good powerfull whip. Here is a slowmo but i would still appreciate some tips from Henry because his looked buttery :butter:

2 Likes

@rickyyR one thing is in the tutorial the whip goes around his hand which seems to be the challenge for me.

I think I’ve figured it out. Pulling the string “out and away” then under and around with my hand rather than wrist snapping but I want to get @GTDropKnot advice too.

Correct me if I can’t see it right in the video you put but is the string going around?

3 Likes

For me it’s the very first whip. The video @rickyyR posted helps give me a little more to go on.

2 Likes

I am no where near consistent enough with it, but here it is.

I find that in order to hit the under-whip, you need to have your throw hand follow the yoyo up a little as you start to swing it upwards and then exaggerate the arc and how much vertical distance your throw hand travels.

6 Likes

Okay yeah so you do want the string wrapped on the outside of the hand before that whip, not like a magic drop but the other way so the hand just goes under the string. If it’s more comfortable, you can start the trick with that wrap and do the first elements with it there. I add the wrap right before I whip but both ways work. The element is similar to a gun slinger whip in 3a so it was pretty familiar to me already but basically you’re just drawing a half circle with Th and whipping the string into the gap of the Yoyo. I would practice the whip just with throw hand a bit to familiarize yourself with it and then you’re going to do the exact same thing but at the same time as the Yoyo dismounts from the undermount. The timing is a bit tricky and awkward at first. It definitely helps to keep your hands closer together for this part so there is enough slack plus some extra to hook the yoyo with.

Here are some exercises that might help make this easier. First just the whip and then whipping as you dismount from an undermount. The real trick is an undermount but with the thumb but if you can get this working it shouldn’t be that hard to transition.

3 Likes

Okay so this is a fun element! The way it works is that because the Yoyo is hopped into the air, there is no tension pulling the string taut and you’re free to whip the string. You want to make sure you have the index on the underside like in this video and it is very important to reach over with the thumb and pull back the string. This is not a pinch but you’re just adding separation so that the segment of string by the index finger will go into the gap and the part by the thumb will go behind, otherwise the string will just hit the Yoyo instead of hooking the back half of the Yoyo.

As far as the movement is concerned. You hop the Yoyo up, and draw a circle with nth index. First go away and then at the Yoyo and this will swing the string at the Yoyo enough to go under and catch the Yoyo.

Thanks buddy.

Strangely enough I can get it if I do it any time other than when I put the yo-yo “in the air”

I think it may have to do with lack of tension and feeling. Appreciate the help, I got it a few times so I’m getting there!!

Love these challenging ones, really it’s how you grow in talent.

3 Likes

Thanks Henry. This really helps me see what I want the string to do and that will (hopefully) help me get it. This one will be fun once it isn’t frustrating anymore. :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

The “underwhip” part is killing me too… I’m going to blame slow reflexes because I’m old :laughing:.

4 Likes

But on a happy note, I’m really starting to get consistent with the beefhook :partying_face:

3 Likes

I can say that my thumb does not like bending that way. :rofl:

1 Like

If it helps anyone I’ve been thinking of a “reverse C”

Pop the yo-yo up in the air and remove your thumb

Then a “reverse c” with your throw hand

I’ve gone from not being able to get it at all. To being able to do it about 1/5 times.

2 Likes

You are right! the second one I whip did was a completely different way of whipping compared to what he does in the clip. The mount you are going to end up in is the same, but without the wrap. To get the wrap, I start with my pointer above the string instead of under it, and try to hold it with my thumb like I am going to do a chopstick move. This is also new to me so there might be better ways idk. Thx for making me aware of this. I just checked out the tutorial very quickly yesterday and was eager to start practicing lol.

1 Like