Trick-a-Week 2024—#36 BlackWhip

Thank you. I can do beefhook but not consistent. I think it‘s just hand positioning and praticing a bit more. Tbh now is a good time to finally get it. I have already tried and landed some in the last 2 hours since i woke up.

4 Likes

Alright… that’s it!!! I’m commenting to this one too!! :rofl:

3 Likes

This one really is easier than it looks! And if you haven’t done these kinds of tension tricks before this is a great one to start with.

3 Likes

Definitely my first venture into this sort of trick. I think I’m getting the rejection right, I just haven’t figured out the catch yet. I think I can, I think I can, I ….

3 Likes

I’m a bit late, but I stuck Gondola in this video so I could play along. :laughing:

8 Likes

Actually I got the videos mixed up. It was the Beef Hook I was trying to do. I’m getting back on track with the actual trick now. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Beefhook is definitely harder than the trick for this week!

3 Likes

i was confused at first too. when you said it was easier than it looked and i thought you meant beefhook, i was gonna throw a chair at you! that trick makes me want to break things

2 Likes

Week 27 - Kobayashi’s rejection to hook

Still working on consistency, but man, this feels good when you land it…

11 Likes

That one looks like it’d be fun! Definitely would take me a while at my level/with how much time I have to throw currently.

4 Likes

Agreed. Honestly, I can’t really wrap my head around this one yet. Instead I am taking this week to practice Weeks 24 (Perpetuum) and 25 (Toya Kobayashi Triangle Trick).

4 Likes

I may end up rolling back to perpetuum. I’ll still keep trying this but it hasn’t come to me yet. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Just came across another variant of this trick if anyone is interested.

4 Likes

Just a note - if ANYONE needs any help please reach out. Beefhook is one trick I made it a point to master and I believe I have. I think I’ve helped a few people, and happy to help anyone else!

6 Likes

I had a great beef hook session last night. Finally feel like I got the trick down. Took about 10 days and averaged probably 2 hours a day of practicing. I’ve hardly done any other tricks in all those hours ha. Thanks again for your help and Henry’s.

6 Likes

Happy for you! It’s such a cool trick!

1 Like

Week 28 - Wax on, wax off

This week’s trick is a great foundational chopsticks element that’s worth really getting down.

There are a lot of tips to help improve chopsticks tricks, my top 2 are:

1. Form a C rather than an L with your non throw hand. It creates more space.
  2. Focus on keeping the string formation tight.
More advanced variation

This variation from Akiba Hirotaka is slightly more advanced, but also the tutorial is in Japanese.

https://youtu.be/tqni8GqLyvo?feature=shared

11 Likes

I been meaning to learn this for awhile. I don’t often do chopstick tricks. Gonna do this one.

4 Likes

Little rough and I should practice more but I’m kinda focusing on 3a right now.

9 Likes

I was working on this yesterday, I’m getting there. This is actually the first chopsticks combo I ever learned. The part at the end is kinda tricky cause the string slides down my nonthrow hand middle finger by the time I get to that part. I noticed in the video it seems like he keeps it in place by bending his finger but I haven’t got that down solid yet. I’ll post a video today or tomorrow.

7 Likes