Trick-a-Week 2024—#36 BlackWhip

Okay no problem! Some things to keep in mind that help get a more powerful rejection—try to get the thumb close to the Yoyo, also you want to maintain a taut string from the Yoyo to the thumb. You’re going to hop it up and maybe a bit forward (helps maintain tension if you go forward a bit) while you pull the string back with the thumb. Also keep the string you’re pulling back with the thumb completely vertical like in the vid, you don’t want to be moving it off to the side.

With the tower trick, all the same things apply but you are also going to turn the wrist over so that the palm faces the sky as the string rejects. This will open up the area for you to land the Yoyo and you can add a bit of extra oomph with the wrist turning over. It might help to film yourself attempting it and maybe you can spot something in playback that you can improve. Let me know if you can’t get enough power after trying these things and I’ll see if I can think of anything else!

3 Likes

Thanks for the fast reply… I think my problem is that the strings are getting wrapped and caught up on my TH index finger as I do the rejection, but I’m going to focus more on getting my thumb closer to the yoyo… thanks again!

1 Like

No problem! I already had the video ready from someone asking a question on discord hah! Knowing that they are getting in the way is the first step to trying to correct it so nice work and good luck!

1 Like

Hmmm, what’s the second one? I cannot figure it out :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

Haaaaaa :sweat_smile:
I actually know and do the trick pretty often as pre-bind. Feeling silly now!

2 Likes

Warning: TAW trick dump ahead!

Finally got some time and motivation to get out the ol’ tripod…

Week 9 - Yuki Triangle Combo (can’t get the behind the wrist part yet)

Week 12 - Stuft Crust (I seem to be missing a GT, I’m sure I’ll find it someday :wink:)

Week 14 - Rewind Bonanza

6 Likes

This was so awesome hah! Nice work!

1 Like

Thanks man! Hopefully I can fill in the missing weeks soon, I’m still plugging away at them…

1 Like

I have hit both individually quite a few times now but getting them together almost made me consider dropping yoyo and starting collecting stamps or something :joy:

6 Likes

Hahah!!! Way to push through! I definitely wasn’t expecting people to do them both together and really just wanted to put the tower trick in bc I like it and thought I should include the option bc the triangle trick is so short. Nice work!

1 Like

Week 19 - Path of Totality

It’s just a neat repeater / branding trick from doc pop. I’m a big fan of tricks that let you build in different elements/variations, and this one has a version with and without the slack depending as part of the tutorial.

7 Likes

I did 3 versions strung together. I personally like the middle one most because of how it flows.

7 Likes

Shoutout to @DocPop ! Very fun trick and I really like the mechanic of the way the slack in the middle works!

7 Likes

I started with learning the Fashism Trick… but wow, i already struggle a lot, early on…

I don’t know how to call this but… It seems that in midair, he switches the string from the yo-yo to his left thumb. How? :joy:
In the video at 1:31 Min.

1 Like

Okay so you go, trapeze. The do an inside flip. The Yoyo must go past your throw hand or else you will add a wrap to the bearing. Then you do another flip like that, so swing the Yoyo in the same direction but go over your throw hand, kinda towards the thumb. Then you’re going to pluck a string out of the gap with nth thumb. It’s a little awkward bc you’re reaching from the outside. It’s much easier if the Yoyo is swinging bc then you can like grab the string with the thumb and the string will stay on the thumb while the Yoyo falls back down. At this point the Yoyo is dangling on the outside of TH and not really in a mount. You swing it up and over th and onto the string segment. Let me know if this makes sense now or I can try something else!

3 Likes

Thank you, that already helped a lot. I awkwardly started to mange this step haha.

I guess, i will need a few weeks (and maybe a few more questions along the line), but i will post the trick, once i got it down.

BTW, i was able to watch your video yesterday… but today, like very often with your videos, it does not longer play… neither in this or other browsers. It looks like this, and never plays…

Thanks again for the help!

1 Like

Nice! Ask as many questions as you want! For real like, that’s what this is all about! We’re all here to talk tricks and learn some stuff together and I glad to help whenever I can!

Also thanks for letting me know about the video! I swapped to a different image hosting platform and I think that it should work now

2 Likes

It is soo cool, to be here… and to have a place to ask questions and learn together! Thanks a lot. Yeah, video now works.

3 Likes
7 Likes