Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Decided to leave in the first go that ends in a bind fail because my wife thinks it’s hilarious.

10 Likes

Hole in bucket

13 Likes

i know yotricks has a button that flips their videos, just in case you didn’t know :saluting_face:

2 Likes

a whole bucket

12 Likes

Nice! Any tips on how to do the two hops in the middle? I always get tangled up in the other strings…

1 Like

They do and I actually didn’t know that until recently lol, I think I speak for every lefty when I say we appreciate that in tuts more than anyone knows :joy:

1 Like

Less movement is more with this trick. Your TH can stay pretty much static while the string on your NTH can get tugged tighter to make the yoyo pop out of that formation.

If you watch me you’ll notice that my NTH doesn’t move during that entire section of the trick, I’m just tugging on the string on my NTH index to get the yoyo to move.

3 Likes

I keep striving to move my arms/hands a little less and focus on just fingers and tension. It’s so hard to do (I’m making a little progress!) but definitely one of the things that I can see makes smooth players… well, smooth.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot @mable and @digitalcharlie! I will keep that in mind :+1:t2:

1 Like

I just started trying this earlier. Getting it back into the bucket is alot more difficult than I thought it would be for me. I gotta work on it some more. The times I forced it in basically I ended up with a crazy ball of yarn looking of a fake knot lol.

2 Likes

WEEK #36 BLACK HOPS

[The note at the end of the video about not using your thumbs comes from learning the trick for the sports ladder and that can be ignored.]

This week we are going to work on a legendary trick—Black Hops. This is a hard trick but it teaches some really important concepts about playing yoyo and is generally a great trick to practice for control. There are manageable steps to take to start landing the full trick. If you already know the trick, I invite you to make it look prettier or try it with a responsive yoyo or do a variation.

If you haven’t attempted Black Hops before or have struggled with it. I highly recommend watching this yo-yo control workshop by Akitoshi Tokubuchi. It explains the mechanics of how the second half of the trick functions and has some great insights that will help understand and execute the trick.

There are a lot of steps you can practice to getting the whole hop sequence like just go to Double or Nothing and back, or the front half of the trick, or the back half, or the just last couple hops separately etc…as a way to focus on the trickiest parts.

This really is a hard trick and learning the whole thing definitely might not be achievable in one weeks time. I would love for everyone to try it and encourage everyone to share whatever progress they make over the week! Good Luck y’all!

9 Likes

Black Hops is a trick I know already and have a good understanding of so I feel good about offering advice. This is my Black Hops on my widest yoyo the MK1 Unicorn with the caps. Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions at all or to just vent!

8 Likes

Last minute. I keep doing this weird suicide lately so I decided to add it to the clip.

13 Likes

Love this trick

1 Like

Gotta film Hole in Bucket today before I start Black Hops, but here’s an awesome vid Mable showed me awhile back of the trick done on a wooden fixie, still crazy to me lol

7 Likes

I never knew that about the thumbs before - definitely makes the trick… trickier.

2 Likes

offficially joining this thread, kind of tired of yotricks level up, would love to grow w y’all if i remmeber lol

3 Likes

Yep! That’s just the sport ladder rules like “yoyo mustn’t be mounted over the thumbs or any other fingers besides indexes” or something like that and doesn’t really matter for learning the trick for fun.

1 Like

Nice! Feel free to check out the past weeks and ask questions if you decide to work on one and get stuck! Also no need to feel like you have to learn a trick each week. It’s more like see a new trick each week but I do think it’s good to try them all bc it just helps try things you might not have otherwise tried or at least it has been like that for me.

2 Likes

Speaking of previous weeks, I’ve been working on this since May and finally just landed a single repetition of sawchucks for the first time!! I feel like learning sawchucks is gonna unlock so much, but being able to keep the yoyo from tilting while also having the proper amount of momentum to keep the pinwheel going after each push is so hard. There’s no pinch on the NTH for this whole thing so being able to quickly and properly adjust between the difference in weight for both the yoyo and counterweight is so hard.

This trick seems so easy and simple at a glance but keeping it going after just a single swap is crazy hard. Just hitting one full rep finally feels so good.

6 Likes