Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

I went frame by frame and mount by mount with a lot of mistakes until I knew what the correct mounts and movements were supposed to be. Step by step too like really made sure I had a lock on the first whip before moving on. Took me a second to realize that finger pinch is the only one that really matters bc he’s got like three possible pinches going on at that spot lol good luck!

1 Like

Same here. Thanks @GTDropKnot and @mable for the detailed tutorials

2 Likes

Lol detailed is being very generous but I’m glad it helps!

1 Like

After doing this a few times all I could think about was how this shape works better as a pentagram / upside down star because the yo-yo is centered at the bottom.

8 Likes

Been a little burned out with online yoyo stuff, and not really in the mood to play 1A currently, so I’ve enlisted the help of @GTDropKnot to help keep the thread going while I take a bit of a break.

It’s been really nice to see new faces and returning faces popping up in the thread as the weeks go by. I hope y’all have taken away some fun tricks so far. It’s been fun to watch everything that gets posted here.

Henry should have a tutorial picked out for everybody to learn a bit later today :call_me_hand:

12 Likes

You do more than you know for this forum/community and deserve a little break for sure. Hope you’re all good though! If you ever need anything I got you :handshake:

5 Likes

Let’s do another cool and legendary trick from a Sakatuca tutorial this week! This trick seems fun and like a good trick for trick-a-week! I like these simple fake knots, they’re so satisfying to pull apart. I’ll try to get a video up when I get a second. Let me know if y’all have any questions. Also let me know if there are any tricks you’d like to learn and think would be good for future TaWs.

13 Likes

Henry I dare you to just give us rock the baby or the absolute hardest combo you can find no in between

2 Likes

take as long as you need! in the short time i’ve been here, you’ve been nothing but helpful and nice

5 Likes

Thanks for everything you’ve been doing! As a long time lurker and only recent participator, I’ve really appreciated all of the encouragement.

6 Likes

Here’s my hole in the bucket (draft) hah!

8 Likes

Finally getting around to this. I think I’ll just be hanging out in the “what are you throwing?/trick” threads for now on, everything else just gets drama-filled and/or I just don’t feel like I fit in with the crowd lol. I’m just here to learn stuff and talk yo-yos man, I’m not very good yet because I haven’t played consistently for years and I usually don’t have the time to practice for hours a day, but who cares. Anyways, Sakatuca is the MAN for flipping his vids for lefties, seeing that pop up in the video

6 Likes

The Sakatuca tutorials are so good, I really love that he’s just bringing attention to some of these old tricks and giving them the archival/reference type videos they deserve.

5 Likes

Anyone gotta tip for hoppin out of the bucket? I’ve tried spreading out my hand more but it doesn’t help much, it’s just one of those things you have to be accurate with or you’ll hit a string or your hand lol

1 Like

You can move the string around to the other side of the finger like this to open up more space. You can also try to move your NTH down and then away so that the triangle is bigger.

1 Like

Here is my freehand 1 version bc I do like the historic aspect of learning an older trick and this is probably my most authentic Yoyo for the era. If you’re more of a responsive player this trick is also accessible

5 Likes

so much drama recently lol

2 Likes

I’m slowly learning that most topics and discussions are not worth my time or input personally lol. People have already made up their minds about stuff long before they post

2 Likes

@sakatuca has been putting in so much work on a consistent level, and has such a awesome catalog. So much depth in these tutorials.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1bTkdjifye4tmc3sOYUe5wOWQIszhRBNtY1RTLSS7wIE/htmlview?pli=1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1Od_T0-w6VlclXsxelNKJQR9FXsOydw4E0nm0FGoCwUw/htmlview

6 Likes

New job is killing my throw and filming opportunities. Got a chance to film gentry combo today… realized I’ve been doing it wrong so I’m glad we visited it again.

Now to try and keep up with you guys​:kissing_closed_eyes::crazy_face::money_mouth_face:

11 Likes