Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Guys I keep landing in a GT at the end instead of it all dropping to a trapeze. I’ve watched that part of the video at least 30 times and I’m thinking I just need some explanation with words about what I’m doing wrong here, gotta be one of those subtle things I always miss lol

1 Like

This happened to me a bit and it was because I had messed up the first slack and ended in wrist mount so double check to be sure the first mount after the slack is correct and not a funky wrist mount that looks similar but is different. Maybe make a vid and that could help diagnose.

Ohhh that first slack/mount isn’t supposed to be a wrist mount? Well that would explain everything :joy: I need to go back and pay attention better lmao, hey at the very least I just made up my own little similar wrist mount combo

2 Likes

Lol hah exactly way to be positive :100: also I’ve done that before like struggled to figure something out and realized like oh I was messing up the part earlier I totally thought I had down.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to think of a tip, and I guess I’d say since everything is pinched and there’s no rush on slacks, just practice getting the slack to drape over your TH index and the string going to the yoyo. Don’t worry about moving the yoyo at all until you can comfortably get the slack over properly with enough string separation that you have a reasonably sized string segment to hit.

Once you can consistently do that, then it’s just about being able to control the yoyo and aim it properly. It’s a little awkward though since you’re swinging the yoyo back from a pinch which is kind of unusual.

I think shorter string makes this trick easier, since it’s all about control and hitting a precise area, and more string doesn’t really give you a bigger target to hit, it just makes the yoyo harder to aim into the right string after the slack.

Hopefully that helps, I tried to think about how to break it down into progressions like yoyojoe would have in one of his tutorials.

4 Likes

Appreciate you !!!

1 Like

For visual aid for anybody else struggling with the initial slack. Just pinch the yoyo and keep practicing this slack until you’ve got this comfortable, don’t worry about moving the yoyo at all.

Throwing the slack forward while making sure it stays on my TH index helps a lot with getting it to stay on the string going to the yoyo. I also try to throw the slack as close to my NTH pinch as I can, which helps makes sure the string segment you’re going to land on is big enough.

9 Likes

So I wanna mention this incase anyone tried out my tip and are now stuck wondering what they’re doing wrong. I think my tip to spread out the slack more with your thumb/hand is wrong it will put you in a wrist mount every time for some reason, and instead of lading in a trapeze at the end you’re gonna be in a GT. It’s still sick, but obviously not correct, so if you want to do it right you gotta practice hitting the middle string in the slack with just your th index finger. Did my tip actually work for anyone like the end of trick ended up correct in a trapeze? Cuz if it did I’d like to know how :joy: Maybe I’ll just film both later and show everyone what I mean to make it easier

2 Likes

If it worked awesome like Mable said the other day there isn’t a right or wrong way if it works for you! I just don’t want anyone stuck or not being able to finish the trick correctly if it’s because of my dumb advice haha

1 Like

Opted to do one that combines elements from a pair of weeks I didn’t do - really enjoying how this comes out of the spinning slack stuff. One day I’ll wear dark clothes when I’m using a bright string.

8 Likes

Y Junction! The elements/movements in this trick flow so well that it even makes people like me look smooth(er)

14 Likes

Week #33

In honor of worlds, here’s something slightly more advanced and a bit more competition adjacent, Gentry’s signature speed combo.

Even if you have no interest in competitive yoyoing, or speed combos in general, I’d still recommend giving this week a shot.

This combo isn’t nearly as difficult as it may look, and a lot of these rail elements centered around the kamikaze mount are just generally useful to know. If you’re somebody who plays yoyo at a much slower and more relaxed pace, a lot of these elements are still going to be flowy and enjoyable to do at your own pacing. And these are the elements that you’ll see in almost any godspeed combo, the constant movement just feels fun no matter what speed you’re playing at.

11 Likes

I’ve come across this trick a couple times the last few months and I’m always like yeah I should definitely learn this one sometime, welp todays the day!

2 Likes

I should shorten my string and practice this more, but here’s a video for now.

11 Likes

I guess baby’s first speed combo is going to be the world champion’s speed combo, baby referring to myself. Good thing I can say i recently legitimately mastered kamikaze

5 Likes

Yah and then you’re gonna be able to say you know a world champions speed combo. It’s like Mable said like each move itself is definitely manageable and these kinda combos are super fun whatever the speed like I love just moving through alot of these mounts bc it just feels good. I don’t know how to make it actually look like a speed combo but imma try maybe or maybe not either way imma be just flowing and having fun

4 Likes

Sooo I’ve been dummy busy lately, but don’t want to fall crazy behind, so I filmed Magic Trick (#31) while waiting for tacos last night lol

Using Klondike of course :heart:

18 Likes

I’m gonna try this weeks out but it’s def gonna be godslow ha

4 Likes

I like that snap, it looks nice and flashy!

Really enjoyed this combo! Great pick! I agree the movements are a lot of fun to do. I’ll try to post this week.

3 Likes