Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Decided to leave in the beginning just to talk about how many times the string gets caught on my watch when doing cheese whip.

Tossed in a rejection in the wrist mount after seeing magic drop on the trick because rejections are fun.

7 Likes

Been trying to come up with different variations of Magic Trick this week. The snap of the fingers looks smooth but I think the knee bounce is more of a crowd pleaser lol, anyone else come up with something cool?

9 Likes

You could set this up in so many better ways, but just a quick almost midnight recording of the idea would be to just have an extra wrap of string around your arm like this for you to release at the same time you slide the wrist mount off your hand.

Basically to make it seem like you’ve done a limb wrap that you instantly undo when you drop the string.

7 Likes

I like that, it looks super techy and almost impossible not to end in a knot lol

1 Like

I tried blowing on it and finger gun but this one was the coolest also went with a throwback kitchen vid

8 Likes

I didn’t even think about a suicide that’s dope! There are so many cool things you could do with this trick

1 Like

Week #32

Here’s another Roan trick. It’s another trapeze to trapeze trick, except this one has a pretty cool slack at the start. Another thing you can try with tricks like this is to notice when you’re in similar mounts. If you were around for the Zach Gormley spinning slack week, you’ll recognize that the DoN transition from the start of that trick puts you in the same mount as this slack. So any time you end up in this mount in the future, you have a smooth way to exit it back to a trapeze to continue your combo.

14 Likes

Here’s my clip for the week. The first throw showing the original trick, and the second throw combining it with the DoN transition from week 12.

15 Likes

Thanks @mable!!!

2 Likes

This is gonna be a fun one to learn at work today and show off to the oldheads. My boss is starting to come around and finally throwing the imperial I got him months ago which is dope even if he just throws up and down. The plan is to get him way deep into it then obviously use his wealth to start our own company duh

The dream is to have this whole office/workplace into yoyo, and instead of doing important boring stuff we all just bring our cases in and throw all day like one big club

2 Likes

Yo so this first slack is pretty finicky huh? I’m struggling to keep it in place while I swing into it not sure if I need to go faster or I’m moving nth too much when swinging it back in or if I need to just practice it more(definitely true) but any tips to keep that slack in place would be appreciated. Rest of the trick is pretty straightforward and I like this mount. You can do the super fun bucket hops from it if you move the nth index to the other side imma try to work that in bc bucket hops are fun

2 Likes

I don’t have it smooth or fluent yet but what I’ve found best right now is just making sure the slack lands as open as possible by using my th thumb along with my th index finger to kinda help/cheat it, and so that the string you’re trying to land on is dead center under it

4 Likes

This tip is what let it finally click for me and now I figured it out! Funny how the rest of the trick is easy enough compared to the opening slack

2 Likes

Glad it helped! There’s a few slacks where I’ll use my thumb to help open it up more, I say “cheating” but I don’t see any harm or foul, we’re not trying to score for worlds over here :joy:

3 Likes

The thumb tip definitely seems good on paper, although I haven’t personally tried it. And anything that makes a yoyo trick easier is never cheating if it works for you.

I’d say if you want to do it without your thumb, just make sure you’re throwing the slack and having it land over top of your TH index finger near the end of your finger. That creates more string separation.

3 Likes

Yeah I think I was letting go of the pinch too early and that was the major problem but I think got it now

@mable do you have any tips for the start. It’s really got me stuck

For the start, I noticed it’s being thrown/draped over the string most of the way rather than being centered over it, and for me seeing that difference helped a lot. Made the whole thing less finicky. I think you can see it most clearly around 1:11.

I’m having time with the last twist. I’m landing in a gt of sorts rather than back in a trapeze - any ideas? I might be messing something up earlier.

1 Like

You dismounting from the back? Like Yoyo should leave the mount in the space between you and the mount. Most likely thing I can think of is earlier in the trick, it goes slack and then the double on and then when you’re rolling back around, make sure to go up into the top string through the hands and that you aren’t swinging all the way around both hands. Hopefully that helps and makes sense good luck!

1 Like
9 Likes