Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Revisiting some more old tricks from year one, because there’s a lot of fresh faces on the forum. So here’s a trick that’s always relevant. Spirit Bomb is a bit of a tricky one, but in my opinion it’s still one of the most iconic yoyo tricks, and everybody enjoys a Dragon Ball reference.

Here’s a second tutorial. When I was first learning this trick, this is the tutorial that unlocked it for me. If you’ve struggled learning with the yotricks tutorial, give this a watch.

13 Likes

Here’s my spirit bomb.

I also just realized that we’re officially halfway through the year! Thank you to everybody who has participated in the thread so far, it’s been a lot of fun.

12 Likes

I remember rushing home from school to watch Goku charge up this trick for like a week straight like okay bro, all the bees and trees and all the life on the planet gave you their energy like two eps ago so go ahead and just dunk this down on Frieza already!

10 Likes

Love SpiritBomb! Was my first hard trick i learned. I was so proud this was my first public post on IG… looking back on that video is always a great reminder of how far Trick-a-Week has helped my throwing skills! Really glad we are revisiting some of these fundamentals!

My first SpiritBomb

I’ll deff throw a SpiritBomb at lunch today!

7 Likes

Yo so someone posted this vid from Brandon Vu about why hasn’t been posting vids lately on another platform. I don’t really follow all the content creators so I didn’t know he hadn’t been and was curious so I watched it. The reason I’m about to post it here is because there is also this super cool moment when he takes a break from grinding his routine to learn a new yoyo trick—Ladder Escape! I just think it’s really cool that he’s out here still learning new tricks while also being one of the best yoyo players in the world! No need to stop learning new tricks and ,imo, learning these older and classic tricks is kind of a way to honor the yoyo and the players that helped shape the yoyo scene today. Anyways here is Vu’s Ladder Escape if anyone is curious.

I cant get the time code to work right but trick is at 3m40s

7 Likes

Love this trick!!!

2 Likes

Spirit Bomb has always been one of those “hmm maybe someday I’ll get it” tricks for me, but after watching that buff dude’s tutorial and his explanation of the first hop I think I got this :raised_hands:

Edit: Unreal. I remember trying to learn this like 12 years ago before I stopped throwing and that first hop just wouldn’t click. I watch one random video with a great explanation and I hit it within an hour. Anyone that’s struggling with this or it’s one of those nemesis tricks for ya watch that second vid Mable posted. I promise you’re gonna go “ohhhhh my god that’s all it is?!” Now to try and get it on camera because vid or it didn’t happen

The vid because it happened! This is arguably the most satisfying one so far for me lol, and the fact that I hit on my Addiction 2 (the yoyo I started practicing it with long ago) is even cooler.

9 Likes

Nice!

That guy’s tutorials are so good in general it’s crazy. He really breaks down stuff in such a simple way that it makes you wonder why all the other tutorials didn’t teach it like that.

Demystifying the movements and actually explaining where the yoyo is going, instead of just explaining the hand movement goes such a long way.

6 Likes

I woulda never thought of the ways he explained it, some people just have a knack for that stuff. I had a math teacher like that a long time ago, nobody else could help me understand stuff like she could and she helped me all through high school haha. I’m definitely gonna check out more of his stuff now too

3 Likes

He’s hilarious too idk why but I find it charming to see swoll people Yoyo. I also think it’s just super funny that he spent the first bit of this video talking about how watching goku had him wanting to get into weight lifting. Good juju

2 Likes

Obviously not the swoll part (guy probably outweighs me by 150lbs lol), but he reminds me of me, if you saw him on the street you’d never in your life expect him to yoyo. He seems like a gentle giant for sure though lol

2 Likes

First time I’ve ever done a TAW on the same day it was posted! Kamikaze coming soon too

10 Likes

I guess I need to dust off this trick again. I can hit it but it needs work, primarily making it look/feel smooth.

2 Likes

sorry for the potato quality webcam vid :grimacing:

cheese whip entry to a wrist mount for spirit bomb

14 Likes

Catching up here. My little GT version of kamikaze and the red triangle vanish thing. And yes, yo-yoing on a waterfall is a pretty bad a$$ feeling lol

11 Likes

My first post was spirit bomb on my first Aotus so i figured I’d try a flashy SpiritBomb this time… but cheesy whip was taken so i went with a Chopsticks entrance and a Montgomery twist for a finally (birth previously posted tricks on Trick-a-Week)

9 Likes

Week 21 Hitchhiker

In the beginning mount for this I found that you can pop out the front and land in a brother GT. Wanted to put that into a combo with this trick. Sorry for the bad string/shirt contrast. Working on Tri-attack and Ladder Escape next :+1:t5:

P.S I really like porygon z, tri-attack was a decent attack for them.

7 Likes

Shirt and outside lighting are awesome bro, I can see the string just fine!

1 Like

Week 22 Tri attack

Fun short trick! Instant sub, will definitely check out more of their tutorials. Found this dgt and quick tower while learning this.

6 Likes

Yaaasssss!!! These were so sick!!