Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

I’m not sure what you mean by twist my bad, I tried my best to kinda show ya where I’m at and what I’m doing

4 Likes

Curl the end of your index finger around this string, and pull it through the loop lower on your index finger.
8EQ158S

The way you’re currently doing it, you start to curl your finger around the loop as well. Only curl your finger around the string I circled and just pull it through. You could slide the loop segment lower on your index finger if you need more string separation to securely grasp the circled string.

3 Likes

Boom thank you! There was too much happening there with both hands I didn’t catch that part lol

2 Likes

My bad I misread that post

You’re fine bro I actually see what you’re talking about now, and the twist does help get it through bottom loop

1 Like

BonesplintTrick from Week 5 2023
Ignore that I look terrible right here please…I’m home sick today…did a little yoyoing and now imma nap.

8 Likes

This is just a nice flowing trick

3 Likes

Tension Slack GT Trick from Week 4 2023
This was the TaW when I found the forums and was only a couple months into yoyo. I picked up the flourish gt then but couldn’t get through the rest of it at the time…Figured out all of the trick this morning.

6 Likes

Ive saved details for this video like 14 times and it refuses to save, I’ve even deleted and reuploaded lol

TAW23-17.1. 360>360>720

6 Likes

Mystic Dump Week 6 2023
Getting good w a fixie is what my game needs more than anything so I think I’m going to try to do this more. I can’t lock myself into any rules about the yoyos I use on what day or w/e but imma figure out that sweater combo soon too…this is super fun! I got over my anxiety about stalls also…lol It was like jump scares in scary movies at first and I can’t do scary movies at all hah!

Edit:also does anyone know how I can get the yoyo to rest more still on the string when I catch it in a stall or will that just come with practicing for more finesse?

7 Likes

It’s another Friday and that means it’s time for some more 5A.

For newer 5A players who have dabbled in learning bee stings, or haven’t yet tried them, I personally think reverse bee sting should be learned first. It’s easy to fumble through a sloppy bee sting without really understanding how the trick works, but reverse bee sting forces you to actually feel out and understand the trick. Once you can do a reverse bee sting, regular bee stings should become significantly easier.

And for the intermediate/advanced players here, here’s a tutorial for a fun 5A transitional element from Quoc Anh’s 5A May tutorial series this year.

5 Likes

Here’s a short combo using the transition from this week’s tutorial

4 Likes

E-fan and bee sting were the walls I hit last time I tried getting into 5A. My coodrination with fans and rebounds still needs work but they’re definitely better than last year! However, I think I figured out beesting!! Will work on reverse bee sting and post a clip.

2 Likes

I got butterfingers today and can’t catch well still but is this generally correct? I can’t tell if I’m bullying to yoyo too much and it’s supposed to be chiller or nah thats it but sloppy

6 Likes

I was watching the vid and almost thought there wasn’t gonna be an overhead view with this one until I saw it towards the end lol

1 Like

This is correct! Now you just need to practice it until you can get a feel for doing it in a way that feels smoother and more controlled. When you can do it in a more controlled way is when you can start comfortably getting the extra rotation of the counterweight like this. When you’re doing it in a more jerky way with your timing off the counterweight generally won’t have enough momentum to keep going all the way around.

4 Likes

Awesome! Okay that looks cool as heck w the extra rotation! This is such a cool trick! So I think I got the timing now I just need to work on my plane control and catching and general control and lots of stuff but I can feel the cw pull so that’s a win!

I have a problem generally also w giving the yoyo too much attention and I realized when I do 5a, I ignore the CW way too often. :sweat: I started these yesterday also everyone like I didn’t figure it out in like two seconds just fyi

2 Likes

Okay boys and girls I’m still working on this last TaW, but I gotta be close with this transition right? Anyone know why I’m automatically swinging into a DGT?

6 Likes

The trick puts you into a DGT earlier, the rest is just a flourish of unnecessary elements leading up to the reveal.

2 Likes

Okay so I’m in the right mount after the swing? That’s good to know I was like wait a minute this part isn’t supposed to happen yet, is it? Lol

2 Likes