Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

I was dumb when I was younger and bought a super cheap tattoo gun and all the stuff from amazon for like 50$ and now I have some terrible leg tattoos I did to myself hah! That was the area easiest to try it on and I definitely don’t recommend anyone else doing that but I don’t regret those tats even tho they’re bad tats. No more for me though I got that out of my system lol I like it downstairs though because they’re good neighbors like always take in packages if we’re out lol

1 Like

Doubled back to the tut for a sec and they show how to push it a little bit but the taut thing def makes like I felt like I was doing the right motion every time but sometimes it would work and sometimes not and I bet that’s why

1 Like

Here is the tower to tower part and I need to practice these cw passes(?vocab) like 1000 times each. switched to a d6 and it made this easier vs a d20.

6 Likes

Alright! Back from weeks off of throwing, due to a broken arm. Just in time for… 5a May?! Oh well. Hear what I got. Glad to be back.

11 Likes

For more advanced players: I know @Kray said they wanted to learn this DGT, it’s really neat.

For beginners: Even if you’re not interested in throwing competition style 5A, understanding how e-fans and rebounds work is absolutely essential.

I think this builds off 360 in a nice way. Don’t worry about being able to do any kind of fancy e-fan combo. As an initial goal: try throwing a 360 into an e-fan, and then use the e-fan to do a couple rebounds. That should give you a decent idea of how you can build some of your own 5A combos.

10 Likes

Real quick tower to tower before I get to work on this DGT! Believe it or not I’ve had the most problems with the easiest element of the trick (getting into a triangle at the last part), so after numerous failed tries on cam I just decided to dismount for now lol

11 Likes

Gorilla trapeze will never stop feeling awkward

I thought this might be nice for some newer players to see. When learning e-fans and rebounds, don’t feel like you always need to be moving the counterweight and yoyo at the same time. That’s how you score in competitions, but for just playing 5A you don’t have to. Obviously moving the yoyo and counterweight at the same time like Jake does in the tutorials will give you much flashier looking combos, but when just starting out, try just focusing on getting clean and controlled rebounds and making sure the yoyo isn’t tilting during your e-fans. Try out a combo like my example.

9 Likes

Week 17 360->360->720

I found that practicing 1h pinwheels like loops, adding on one with each success and starting over from one if I mess up, has helped me internalize how it feels and made at least 720 and 1080 more consistent. Tower to tower too hard for me so I went with Jei’s Illusionary tutorial as my 5A tech intro.

14 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Really like how nice this looks :heart:

2 Likes

Love to see you play an replay. It is a very hearty Yoyo. I really enjoy it for 5A. Definitely not the easiest to learn tricks on but I find it dense being really helped me on 5A motions to really feel/experience them. :five::a:May keep it rolling :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

I used to really dislike the Replay Pro, but for 5A? It’s great! I play over concrete usually so metal gets dinged up, I can file it but with enough falls it just starts to feel bad on a catch.

I left a Replay Pro in a park once because I ended up with two and didn’t want to have it anymore. Kinda wishing I kept it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Would love to widen my 5A vocabulary this month! That tower trick looks sick as hell and would be dope if I could get it down. Here’s a quick clip of the current extent of my meager 5A abilities pretty much :sweat_smile:

15 Likes

That repeater is sick

1 Like

Love this trick, this spin around the Yoyo in the beginning feels very cool. Here my first attempts of the finished trick. What I found especially tricky with this one (as with many 5A tricks) the string proportions. The finally double GT is still pretty off.

8 Likes

Okay I got a slow version of the adv. trick on footy but I want to clean it up if I can. My hands hurt real bad and I need a break before I get back at it. Does anyone have any tips to get the Yoyo not to snag during the weave type move where the cw goes over the Yoyo and around and is caught by nth palm down?

I’m starting to hesitate way too much there(bc I’ve been throwing super hard to get enough spintime and stability but now my hand hurts like I’m starting to act scared) I think the hesitation is making it worse like I wasn’t getting this many snags yesterday and I had it figured out but I went to the park to film and watch the sunrise this morning and it’s definitely gotten worse like I’m getting snags during that move like 3/5 times.

Also working on a combo like the one Mable demoed where it’s less like the scratching the head and rubbing the tummy simultaneous independent movements that Jake shows in the tutorial but the advanced is closer and I wanna cross it off.

Sorry this is long and complain-y 5a is kinda frustrating bc it hurts real bad sometimes hah! Probably will do Michaels today for a bit of leather and then diy a new cw that hurts less.

Had a similar issue. Two thing that helped me are keep the tension on the setup and make sure your nth pointer points away from you.

Slack to DGT

9 Likes

Efan Combo

I watch Josh Yee’s 3 common misconceptions for beginners in the 5a essentials series and that helped me feel better about having my string a little longer. I think I’m more used to a long string and the extra length gives me a touch more time to calculate and keep track of everything.

I also watched the 5a essentials all about efans video and that was super helpful to see the history and the different ways to do e-fans. the way Jake does it in the yotricks tut was harder for me because the circle is so tight and that makes the timing quicker and gives less time to adjust if it starts to go off plane. Seeing that it was okay to do it with a bigger circle was just really helpful and looks really cool still imo. Still needs so much more work but I feel way more comfortable w/ the basic movement now.

7 Likes

Anyone got advice for that first part of pulling your th index finger through the loop? I tried to make a video but it’s just kinda hard to see what I mean unless I had a GoPro or something. I think this is one those things where it’s just gonna have to eventually click, I mean I’m looking right at what I’m supposed to do but I just don’t get it lol.

1 Like

Yeah don’t pull it through how you feel like you should by curling and pulling. add a twist and do the thumb pinch and when you get the twist which I missed right away you don’t need to use the thumb even but it helps to make sure you twisted it the right way go back like a few seconds in the video and you’ll see the twist get added up it’s weird and easy to miss or it was for me atleast but other might know other stuff to check. Prolly missing the twist if it’s not working though