Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Hah no you’re fine it’s the nature of text communications and hah I don’t know the dates of a lot of holidays and they happen every year…Your trick looks sick I’m stoked to try this tell your friend I like the trick

1 Like

Cool trick and nice finger exercise

6 Likes

Woo got the TaW but fumbled the catch lol it’s cool it’s just TaW and I’m too impatient to spend more time filming…too many tricks to learn hah

Overall I’d rate this TaW—SS for sip sip imma learn more louminade tricks lol I really liked the fresh approach to tech and the comfortable dgt after all the new yocabulary moves also it wasn’t a long trick either…will clean it up eventually

7 Likes

Okay so here is the Tsukasa Nambacide Slack element. I sketched up the end but this double slack suicide element has been the single hardest element I’ve ever had the pleasure of learning and definitely the thing I’ve spent the most time on so far besides maybe magic drop but it’s close! It’s just super cool and I really wanted to learn it and I’m finally starting to hit it reasonably often so I’m stoked!

7 Likes

Nice pick and thanks for carrying us again @mable ! Ive seen him on IG and Discord but I guess he isnt here too?

3A next week!

2 Likes

Had to double check something in the louminade tut and I thought I would leave the steps I say in my head here for anyone still trying to get in on the TaW this week and the lurkers of the future(me once) because there is a sneaky thumb pinch and no dialogue.

Trapeze
Free hand thumb makes the space for throw hand gun to go into the trap loop
Free hand index cuts into string and aim to land yo on that front segment
Slide string off fh index
Index of throw hand curls in and pinches and now you can ignore that finger for a long time
Pinch w free hand and swing slack that forms around to the other side and catch w th thumb doesn’t have to be fast
Scoop segment of string by th thumb with free hand thumb and pinch with the thumb then pull a string off with th like scoop it away from gap and release the thumb pinch to drop that slack under the yo then relax cuz ya got it drop the strings in the right order and pop into that top triangle nice!

Edit- also proportions of strings matter or the slack won’t fall off the thumb for the last slack element

No 3A tutorial, but I’ve been in the mood to learn something harder. Here’s a cool tech combo from Zach I’ve been meaning to learn for a while now.

11 Likes

Phew no 3a because my non-throw hand hand is very bad at being a throw hand…Looks like a very cool trick…I like how zach gives that kamikaze looking mount the slightest pause…excited to dive in later…will learn a lot with this one…

2 Likes

@mable happy birthday or is it the wrong icon?
EDIT: Happy anniversary :smile:. Thanks @Mystik

5 Likes

Cake slice = anniversary

Full cake = birthday

:+1:

4 Likes

The two yo-yos I committed to 3a finding out there’s no tut this week

2 Likes

If you actually want a 3A trick to work on this week, velvet rolls is as good of a place as any to start, and a good building block for lots of other 3A tricks. There’s no kink, so 3A hell knots are unlikely to happen.

Pre-requisite for 3A is just being able to throw straight and bind with your offhand. Lots of 3A tricks are less ambidextrous than you’d think. If you can throw and bind the yoyo with your offhand, your offhand is good enough to learn 3A.

If anybody wants some 3A motivation here’s an example of some basic stuff that can be made to look good with the velvet mount. It’s kind of a 3A interpretation of a split bottom mount, so you’ve got those oldschool flow looking frontstyle tricks.

7 Likes

Okay first and foremost I hope you know I was kidding and not at all questioning the tutorial this week or anything! I feel like my dry-sarcastic humor gets lost in text forms of communication haha. I am gonna try to learn this though! Totally up for the challenge and trying something different

5 Likes

I figured you were joking but I will take any opportunity I can get to meme people into at least giving alt styles a shot lol. I’m eternally bummed how many people only play 1A. Yoyos are too cool and can do too much to only ever play 1A.

6 Likes

I think 1a is easiest and there’s a lot you gotta figure out there first like can’t really go 3a before 1a or idk why anyone would idk though

1 Like

I agree I’ve been trying to expand lately. I even took out my Fiesta XX the other day, thing had no scratches or anything I was like wow I really gotta throw some off string once in awhile lol. Do you think getting another fools gold yeti would be fine to use for basic 3a stuff once in awhile or should I just get a cheap pair of something else? I’m a little worried about the yetis bearing seat cracks being a FG but at $10 bucks total I also thought hey what a perfect little 3a pair.

1 Like

If you seriously wanted to learn 3A I’d recommend not using plastics. Metals are just so superior in terms of performance, and 3A is a hard enough style as is, so any performance boost in your yoyo is super appreciated. Like any metal will do. If you have any cheap magicyoyo, getting a second one would be your best 3A pickup. There’s so many crazy good 15 dollar metal yoyos on amazon that imo playing with plastics just doesn’t make sense.

If you aren’t serious about really giving 3A a go though, I’d recommend just playing with a mismatched pair of yoyos you don’t care about getting a little scuffed up, instead of actually buying anything. Not having a matching pair really won’t hinder you at all in the beginning.

@GTDropKnot After I learned brain twister in 1A I proceeded to only play 5A for like half a year lol, I’d advise people to just do what’s fun, but be open to trying styles they haven’t given a serious chance. It’s easy to fall into a sunk cost fallacy type mindset with 1A I think where players spend years playing 1A, then when they try to pick up a new style they’re basically starting as a complete beginner again. So people just stick with 1A because they’re already good enough at 1A, and going back to being a beginner in a new style would make all that 1A time go to waste. Trying to get invested in alt styles earlier on in your yoyoing journey makes it easier to want to actually stick with them imo.

4 Likes

Okay cool, I’ll probably use a mismatch pair for now and if I start to like it and wanna progress more I’ll just buy a pair of Freebirds, lol Jk or maybe not idk 3a could be my calling

4 Likes

Yeah I like alt styles I’m all in lol especially trying to figure out looping right now it’s just so different than the analytical approach I’m gonna need to hit this crazy tech trick…I see your point though and already need to double back to 0a and redo the trick ladder too because I got so used to the 1a no snag ever so I def see how it can be a hinderance :confounded: I suck at 0a lol

2 Likes

I got the Zach combo learned. It was easier to learn than expected but sheesh this is going to be hard to do with any amount of smoothness. I’m going slow and that first pop through the triangle into the string is so easy to mess up.

6 Likes