Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Back at it again this week with another Angel2Up tutorial, except this one is a lot easier and more versatile. It’s a quick little slack opener that looks very slick.

If you want bonus points for this week, you can try using this as the opening/starting segment of another trick.

Here’s my example for the week.

15 Likes

Awesome can’t wait to learn it!!

At the end of the year I’m going to do every trick of the week in one long combo lol

4 Likes

Only had a quick play around with, but really struggling to get enough momentum in the slack to get it around for the thumb catch.

Dang, i just made a 5a tutorial of a trick i called suspense. Whoops, didn’t know it was taken already

5 Likes

Waiting for 5A May so bad. Your tutorial content is like exactly what 5A needs more of atm. I made a video to help a friend with the GT in your combo the other day. Keep up the sick work :saluting_face:

8 Likes

Well if that’s not motivation i don’t know what is. Need to decide what trick to do next, i got a handfull in me bag to share.

1 Like

Same, the slack just kinda dies once it hits my throw hand. Anyone have any tips? Maybe I need to use longer string. :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah that slack underneath is getting me too, I thought it was because I was catching the DoN-like mount too close to my finger and having too much slack, but it’s just kind of an awkward motion if you’re not used to it I guess

1 Like

I think I might just be really used to it, because if I miss the slack redirect it’s from missing the catch with my thumb and having the slack just go around a second time.

A video would help, long/short string doesn’t really make a difference to me for hitting this, so I’d guess it’s probably more in the technique.

The rotation of my NTH wrist is what drives the power of the slack after the redirect, so maybe focus on really exaggerating the wrist movement.

1 Like

It’s definitely this mixed with remembering how to catch it with my nth thumb underneath, that’s a little tricky at first too. I’m glad he finally made a tut for this though because it looks so good done smoothly

1 Like

@AKYOYOMIKE @mable

I like this idea. Maybe at the end of the year we can have a contest for a freestyle that uses only this years learning. That would be fun.

Not that you need to use every trick but just the ones we’ve learned.

4 Likes

That’s it for me! I guess a simple trapeze was too when we all first started. Once your muscle memory catches up it just happens.

I just can’t comprehend the speed at which he does his tricks! It’s insane to me. I can’t wait to be half his speed.

I think trucks are a little cooler on the slow anyway!

3 Likes

I always drive my truck sloooow

Real G’s drive slow and low.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Slow & Loew :metal:

3 Likes

So I switched to thinner/lighter string and that helped a little. Now I gotta work on this part cuz every time I think ive got it I’m not getting that exaggerated slack to end the trick. I’ll try and make a video tomorrow and someone can see if I’m landing on the string the right way. (Videos are mirrored for me obviously lol)

3 Likes

Was that not we done at the end of the year in '22? I do like that idea though.

3 Likes

Anyone else finding with Suspense that when you throw the big slack around, it is coming around too far and getting in the way? I’m barely swinging it, and it’s coming around so far.

2 Likes

For sure. That happens a lot at first when you’re doing each element individually. Once it’s all in one fluid motion to that brother style mount (just before flipping the slack) you’re good to go.

You can adjust the distance your hands are spread apart and how high you pinch the initial trapeze to change the length of the slack. Keeping your hands a little further apart and/or having a longer trapeze string length before you pinch should solve your issue.

1 Like

Decide to learn the 5A one by @Beverchakus first since it looked more fun to me. Will try the Angelo one next.

8 Likes