Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

WEEK #36 BLACK HOPS

[The note at the end of the video about not using your thumbs comes from learning the trick for the sports ladder and that can be ignored.]

This week we are going to work on a legendary trick—Black Hops. This is a hard trick but it teaches some really important concepts about playing yoyo and is generally a great trick to practice for control. There are manageable steps to take to start landing the full trick. If you already know the trick, I invite you to make it look prettier or try it with a responsive yoyo or do a variation.

If you haven’t attempted Black Hops before or have struggled with it. I highly recommend watching this yo-yo control workshop by Akitoshi Tokubuchi. It explains the mechanics of how the second half of the trick functions and has some great insights that will help understand and execute the trick.

There are a lot of steps you can practice to getting the whole hop sequence like just go to Double or Nothing and back, or the front half of the trick, or the back half, or the just last couple hops separately etc…as a way to focus on the trickiest parts.

This really is a hard trick and learning the whole thing definitely might not be achievable in one weeks time. I would love for everyone to try it and encourage everyone to share whatever progress they make over the week! Good Luck y’all!

9 Likes