Traveling in Bear Country

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear confrontations, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and be alert for bears while in the field. …We advise that outdoorsmen wear small bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren’t expecting them, and to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter…

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

What I want to know is: why would you go and smell a bear dropping?

Good to know.

Experienced outdoorsmen know: smell the dropping or become the dropping. :o Your choice.

I’ve never been a dropping before…

Which only means that you shouldn’t go outdoors in Montana, as you don’t appear to be an experienced outdoorsman. ;D

Which one is the more aggressive bear? Black right ?

Though you should certainly be careful when in the territory of any bears, Black bears aren’t typically life threatening in the way that Grizzly bears are.

:smiley:

What are u supposed to do for them? I think the black bear ur supposed to play dead. The grizzly idk fight back lol

you have it totally mixed up. Switch the tactics between bear types. You have no chance against a Grizzly Bear so play dead.

Run very fast or carry a .357 magnum.

Or this. This works.

exactly why I’m clarifying lol thanks

I opt for a big can of bear spray when I’m in grizzly territory. With a gun, if a grizzly is actually after you and you aren’t able to shoot it to death, you’re done for. Plus, with the spray, you really don’t have to aim well. Of course, if it’s windy …