Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread

Any interest in a B C , Brad Countryman Appreciation thread?

4 Likes

I’m interested in just about any thread where wooden yoyos are involved!

2 Likes

Sure. I have a few.

1 Like

Here’s a sweet little collection a friend of mine has in his office at work.

18 Likes

A few more that maybe finding their way into that cabinet soon!! Good luck my friend.

11 Likes

Two Aspen Mandalas😱

2 Likes

@Wayne If you’ve got a matte finish, or raw finish, no jive with the “Special” stamp (not an anniversary model) that you’d ever want to part with let me know :pray:t2:

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I have a spare one of those, I remember grabbing a couple but may have traded them away. I’ll have a look for you.

4 Likes

Thanks Wayne, that’s the last of my “unicorn” No Jives that I’ve been searching for.

2 Likes

Sorry Aaron, the one’s I have are all gloss finish.
Good luck with your search.

3 Likes

This is a laminated fixed axle No Jive… right? Anyone know the year? I actually document this stuff for my records and so my son will know if I can’t tell him myself. I like to keep record of:
What exactly the yo-yo is
When was it produced
Production numbers
What did I pay and to whom
Estimated current value

I print out forum posts and file them, keep receipts, emails, anything to identify and record the history of these little masterpieces.

e

7 Likes

Good looking yoyo! I think it needs the hex axle system though to be considered a No Jive. @edhaponik is this correct?

1 Like

There’s the No Jive and then there’s the No Jive 3-in-1. Or I’ve been wrong for 29 years which is so likely. I was in my teens before I found out raisins where dried out grapes…

5 Likes

Ahh I think you’re right. I have a maple solid somewhere that I think says No Jive. They may predate the 3-1.

2 Likes

Yeah all the No Jives have hexes except for the original “Maple Leaf” models from 1976 and the reissues of the same. You could prob consider the SF landmark models (Streetcar, Fisherman’s Wharf, Golden Gate, etc) as no jives, and the “Woody” models from 1988-92 say “No Jive” on the back. But TK/BC made lots of similar fixed models which were not strictly No Jives.

10 Likes

Sorry for the double post. Not sure how I missed this thread. No Jives are the only yo-yo I “collect”, as they were really my gateway to the kind of yo-yoing I do. The importance of that yo-yo in terms of the transition in yo-yo design from the 60’s through the 90’s would be tough to overstate. I always get excited to see the rarer/older variations out there.

Always on the lookout for:
Aspen Mandala
Kreeger & Sons
Smothers Wines
ii Girls (black or white)
Maroon Sparkle

20 Likes

Never asked this, but just had this thought Ed. Say you could keep 5 from that collection. Which would they be? I know your #1 would be one, at least I think it would be. But the others, would they be because of sentimentality or would they be players?

So many cool yoyos in that photo!

5 Likes

Prob these? Combination of play, nostalgia, and just ones I really ENJOY throwing. :slight_smile:

19 Likes

It makes me sad that no more No Jives are currently being made, and maybe no more ever will. :sob:

3 Likes

We’ll see. Everything has its season. There will always be a place for the No Jive in yo-yoing, but if it’s time is up, it’s had quite the run. :wink:

5 Likes