Todays personal yoyo challenge

I usually have a daily yoyo challenge or goal and it can be almost anything from learning a new trick, spending time with a new yoyo, playing a style I haven’t played for a while or sharing yoyoing. So simply,this is an opportunity to share your personal yoyo journey.

Today:

1.experimented with making resin yoyos. Didn’t go so well lol. I’ll try it again another day.

12 Likes

Resin yoyos. Like pouring some blanks and then turning them on a lathe?

4 Likes

I tweaked my back today working on some plumbing at home, so today my challenge was to yo-yo at all. I did a few cheese whips, spirit bombs and trapeze rejection to triangles, and that was enough.

I have a yo-yo I want to polish, stripped it like a month or more ago, been waiting forever for a chance to do it, but every weekend it’s just something else I end up having to do.

2 Likes

This is a great idea, ill try doing it although I dont know what to do as my first challenge. Do you have any ideas?

3 Likes

I’ve been slowly increasing the amount of time I spend practicing.
Today I will start doing at least 15 minutes 3 times a day.
Hoping to work my way up to 1+ hour a day eventually.

3 Likes

Nice, I could try doing that but my mum doesn’t like me yoyoing all the time so I dunno.

2 Likes

Exactly! I had some left over resin so I found some containers for molds and tried to poor a yoyo, no lathing. The first half went well. I made a jig to align and support everything but I either bumped it while it was setting or I didn’t get things aligned as well as I thought.

Ouch! sorry to hear that. I’m envisioning you sitting quietly, watching television, yoyo in hand, string on finger, tear on your cheek. Get better!

Ideas can be anything. For example, hit a trapeze 10 times with your eyes closed, share yoyoing with 3 people, create a piece of art that’s yoyo related, work on that trick you gave up on, try turning a yoyo, try using a glove for a day. It can be absolutely anything.

Is this an hour of focused, goal oriented time, an our of relaxed play, or a mixture?

I wouldn’t recommend an hour of play since your mum thinks you yoyo to much. Maybe try to get your mum to join you or try, even if it’s only for a throw or two. Even ask if you can get a pic of her and you yoyoing together. It might be a fun goal and besides you would get to spend some time with her.

4 Likes

One new or forgotten trick a day that can be accomplished in 20 minutes or less.
If it takes more, just the first steps.

This is about the limit of my attention span for yo-yos.

3 Likes

Ah yes, the forgotten yoyo trick. How many have I forgotten? I may never know, since they’ve been forgotten.:rofl:

5 Likes

Mainly focused/goal oriented.
Ideally I’d like to do something like 45+ of focused practices, with 15+ of just trying new things and having fun each day.

1 Like

Also, happy birthday @skitrz :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks Man! It’s going to be a great day.

4 Likes

Now that’s a pretty fantastic idea. As a parent myself, I can say that we love to be part of whatever our kids are into. @slinging101 This could really change the way mum sees your hobby, especially if you can help teach her a trick or two and she can see how much effort and skill it takes.

Edit: Also, happy birthday @skitrz!

2 Likes

Chopstick mounts today. I usually have like three I use all the time, expand, expand, expand!

4 Likes

Ugh, chopsticks are the bane of my yoxistence(ironically, I’ve always been really good with real chopsticks).

Although, I am getting better without even practicing, I guess because I’m getting more accurate where I’m landing the yo-yo in general.

3 Likes

@ryanmcg I know that I have posted this video before but it has everything, Sledge Hammer, Chopsticks, Humor, and Jake Bullock! One of my favorite tricks as well as it was my first chopsticks trick that I fell in love with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZomN4Z_pqs

4 Likes

May seem obvious, but practice with an undersized yo-yo.
Makes it MUCH easier, and depending on the size of your hand, maybe the only real option.

2 Likes

I have average size hands but kinda short index fingers. The difference in my finger lengths is greater than average. I shouldn’t complain though, as my fingers are nevertheless long enough for chopsticks with even slightly oversized yo-yos. I’ve seen people use their middle finger for a lot of chopstick stuff, but I don’t have the same dexterity in my middle finger. So it’s really just down to practice.

Still, I should probably get a good undersized throw. Any recommendations? I’d prefer something not overly narrow. My ideal undersized/pocket throw would be like 50x43mm.

Thanks @stevejspins and @skitrz

2 Likes

probably for me today is to make a candy cane style string

3 Likes

I have a YYF Genxs and a snack, parted with the General Yo mini star.

Carry the Snack quite often, it’s pretty stable. It’s a bit heavy feeling, but I don’t mind this and prefer it.

Great yo-yo which takes up little space in a pocket.

3 Likes