Titanium .vs. Bimetal

Makes me wonder why there’s no bimetal undersized yet…

Werrd should bring back the beef ^^

Catch 22 would fit that criteria I think. :slight_smile:

Touché!

Sputnik? Nobunaga?

Heya Greg… Not sure what you consider ‘undersized’ but the Turning Points: Leviathan 6 and 7 are only 53mm.

And both are really good yoyos.

So I’ve only thrown one bi-metal, looking the purchase my first. I will never buy a titanium and probably never play with one either i don’t know any other throwers and none live in my area but would a Ti bi-metal benefit from a denser metal on the rims like Tungsten?

Theoretically yes, but probably only useful for an undersize/mini that have the weight distribution like a full size. Make a full size yoyo and you’re looking at a kickback nightmare.

The only Ti I’ve played was Dazzler. In my opinion it is still THE absolute best metal yoyo ever. Very comfortable, no ridiculous kickback, the weight is totally dead on like, it’s good for both complex play yet easily go as fast as you want it to be. Dead smooth like a dream and pretty much perfect build quality. It looks simple at glance, but once you see it in person and play it, you’ll know there is a lot of thinking going on every bit of it.

after reading this thread, i realized i have never thrown a titanium yoyo… :o :o :o :o

Don’t know about anyone else, but I consider undersized to be <52mm, midsized>52mm but less than 55mm, fullsized is >54mm but less than 58mm and oversized is anything bigger than 58mm. So I’d consider the Leviathans midsized personally.

Also, titanium throws seem to have gotten much more expensive in the past several years. The Sovereign and Ti-Walker both launched at $150 which is less than many bi-metals these days. So does anyone know why titanium throws seem to be mostly selling at double these two? I’m not saying that titanium throws should all cost ~$150 but it seems a bit odd that, while the rest of the industry has been trending towards lowering the cost of yoyos, titanium yoyos are still roughly the same price.

Again, not saying titaniums should cost way less, just curious why they haven’t seen the trend in lowering price like most other throws.

Edit: Sorry, the Ti-Walker and Sovereign retailed for $200, not $150.

I believe the TiWalker retailed for $200. The machining time and price of material is still a major reason the price is where it is.

For me, undersized is what Lex described.

But if I’m being absolutely frank, it was silly of me to say “undersized” when what I was REALLY thinking was “~50mm”. That’s the honest truth. I needed to be more clear.

Catch-22 qualifies. :wink:

Nobunaga? Not even close. 54mm puts it squarely in the mid-sized category.

But yeah. I’m thinking more like a 50mm version of the Rave. :wink: Something like that.

There have certainly been a few undersized (~50mm) single-metal yoyos that play remarkably close to a full-sized single-metal yoyo (YYR messiah, SPYY Supra, Spin Dynamics Monkey Fist to name a few) but I can’t help feeling that bi-metal design would really provide the chance for a small and lightweight yoyo to perform at the level of a full-sized single-metal. Or at least… to be its own fun-as-heck thing.

~56g, ~50mm? Sounds like fun to me.

The Citizen, Ti Dream, and Evora are more expensive because they are full sized throws. The Ti Walker and Sovereign were fairly undersized. The under sized shape saves a lot of material per YoYo in the machining, and titanium is a very expensive material. Also, GregP, don’t forget about the Jazz Yo Regulus :slight_smile:

Now that we’re on it, anyone knows the price of the titanium alloy (and which particular series) to make a full size yoyo? iirc aluminum 6061 is cheap, less than $10 for each yoyo. Google search doesn’t really help.

The Ti-Walker weighs 63.9g, Sovereign - 64.5g, the Evora weighs 65.5g, CiTizen - 64.4g, Ti Dream - 65.3g. That’s really not that much of a difference in terms of material.
So there isn’t much difference in terms of the amount of material needed to make each yoyo (and even if there were, surely it can’t be enough to increase the price by ~$100).

I imagine that the amount of machining would be the biggest factor in the cost of a titanium yoyo due to how hard it is to machine rather than the amount of titanium used.

Also, since you brought up the Regulus, am I the only person who didn’t think it played well at all? I found it to have terrible spin times and be incredibly unstable. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you’d expect from a bi-metal. It was pretty though.

Yoyos are machined not molded. If you wanna make a full sized yoyo you had to buy the bigger tube, not melt the excess to make a new, ready to machine one.

2 Likes

On ebay there is a guy selling 12" bars that are 2.5" in diameter. Those bars are $220. So figure 1.5"(roughly) per yoyo, that would get you 8 yoyo’s, so around $27.50 per yoyo just material if you bought it from that guy. You’d probably get less out of a 12" bar, so the price would be higher.

Weight doesn’t determine the size of the YoYo. The Ti Walker was 52-53mm in diameter, the Sovereign was 50-51. The Evora, Ti Dream, and Citizen are all over 54, with the Citizen and Dream at almost 57mm. The rods I’d guess might be a bit larger in diameter for these throws, which would increase the overall price. I could be wrong though, but it seems a little wasteful to use a larger diameter rid of titanium to machine a smaller diameter YoYo.

Correct…

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more