Tips for freestyles

Do you guys have any tips?
Last summer I did a freestyle for the 4-H expo but it was before I knew much about yo-yos. I didn’t even have music (NO MUSIC!!:tired_face::weary::grimacing:) I’m pretty sure everyone else who gave a speech or did a dance or something went to state fair except for the “kid with his yo-yo-yo-yo-yo-yo”(the judge actually said that!!) she also said that I should “announce my tricks” before I do them but that would just make it even more lame. I think I need some help.

1 Like

If it’s about something like a show for an audience of people who are not related to yo-yoing, i’ve got some tips: It doesn’t make any sense to show them your hardest speed combo - they will not understand.
Try to choose some simple, but impressive tricks people can relate to.
You can even start with a simple Eiffel Tower and ask the audience:“What is this?”
Somebody will shout:“Eiffel Tower!”
You can answer something like:" Yeah! So my little yo-yo just came home from Paris and is very tired. We´re gonna put it in the cradle…"
Then you do Rock the Baby. You can wake it up with a Brain Twister and so on…(i´m not gonna tell you my whole routine ;-))
Some Tricks who work very good for this kind of show:
Eiffel Tower (and many other picture tricks)
Rock the Baby
Around the World
Brain Twister
Mach 5
Gyroscopic Flop
Eli Hops
Magic Trick
Magic Knots
Heart/Brokenhearted
Bikini
Becherovka
Gondola
Fingerspin
Helix

Edit: Here were some tips to create a fun-freestyle to your favourite song. My wife caught me while writing this and said i wrote some rubbish. Now i have to create a freestyle to Steve Reich´s “Music for 18 Musicians” which is actually my favourite song. Approximate Playtime is 55 Minutes… see you next year!

5 Likes

Anybody else have any suggestions?

This video is super helpful

1 Like

I don’t have any suggestions but I’m watching this thread as I too am primarily interested in crowd-pleaser tricks. I think what @Lefski said makes a lot of sense, there’s a big difference in entertaining a general audience and competing in front of fellow throwers or judges so the trick repertoire has to be tailored towards flash rather than difficulty.

Oh and carry a yoyo that you’re not afraid to scratch up as well, because someone is going to ask you to walk the dog.

Ivan

2 Likes